Differences between Micropython ports for ESP32 and ESP8266

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
jdcrunchman

Re: Differences between Micropython ports for ESP32 and ESP8266

Post by jdcrunchman » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:42 pm

All I can come up with are other people looking for the same thing. Most of this is focused on Arduino instead of ESP32.
What search engine were you using? I've pretty much given up using Google as a source of information, and upon recommendation from friends, they say DuckDuckGo is better then google, with much more meaningful links not bent on selling you something.

So I went back looking for links on Python code that runs on MicroPython that can run an SSH server I can SSH in, to talk to my
ESP32 from my iPad. I found nothing....

Certainly, there is a LOT of interest out there. Is this SSH server for MicroPython on GitHub? If so, how can I search for it. Using common keywords like . "SSH Server for MicroPython running on ESP32" mostly focuses on Arduino.

I did get a reference on REPL? But really guys, is that the only game in town?

John

kevinkk525

Post by kevinkk525 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:06 pm

jdcrunchman wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:42 pm
Certainly, there is a LOT of interest out there. Is this SSH server for MicroPython on GitHub? If so, how can I search for it. Using common keywords like . "SSH Server for MicroPython running on ESP32" mostly focuses on Arduino.
I'm wondering about where you see that "LOT" of interest because I can't find that interest anywhere. I feel like you are the first person to ask about SSH server the last years unless my memory doesn't serve me well.
Kevin Köck
Micropython Smarthome Firmware (with Home-Assistant integration): https://github.com/kevinkk525/pysmartnode

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:24 pm

@jdcrunchman I do not know about a ssh server for Micropython either. What I made when starting to work with an ESP8266, that I adapted the ftpserver of @chrisgp and made it background operational, using the socket method introduced by @pfalcon for webrepl. I took care that is also works on ESP32 and PYBD. To my surprise, this ftp server is referenced at various web sites. You'll find it here: https://github.com/robert-hh/FTP-Server ... 2-and-PYBD
It works well with a lot of ftp clients, and you can use it to transfer files between you Mac and the device. My use case was for local file transfers in a controlled environment. So there is no protection. The transfer is not encrypted, and authentication is ignored. The latter can easily be added, but still no encryption. The background version does not coexists with webrepl, but there is a foreground version. You can see it a just another method besides other tools like rshell, pyboard, ampy, thonny, ... for file transfer. So it is a matter of preference.

jdcrunchman

Post by jdcrunchman » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:58 pm

I'm just surprised that I cannot use SFTP or SSH to access the ESP32 from my Mac via the built in WIFI.
I know about Ampy and REPL, seems to be the only game in town.

John

Empusas

Post by Empusas » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:40 am

The only reason for me to choose ESP32 over ESP8266 was the LoBo MicroPython build with SSH client.
I my use case I wanted to add additional buttons to my new PC case to start/stop VMs running on the hypervisor. I needed a secure way to login to the hypervisor and execute a command. LoBos SSH client module was the only working method I have found on the ESP32.
I wasted a lot of time with a buggy, not working Arduino Library for the ESP32 until I decided to move from C (Arduino) to mpython, but totally worth it!
If there would have been a micropython version for the ESP8266 with SSH client I might have used that maybe.

bertel

Post by bertel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:58 am

The LoBo codebase appears abandoned, and if you have grudges with pyb, you will absolutely hate incompatible LoBo. How hard would it be to graft the LoBo SSH module onto the mainline code?