pycom boards

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
Capstan

pycom boards

Post by Capstan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:52 pm

I'm curious about the PyCom LoPy device, does anyone have experience with them? It looks like you can run roughly the same Python code there as you can on an ordinary ESP32. They seem to be claiming far lower power draw though;

https://pycom.io/wp-content/uploads/201 ... st2017.pdf

- WiFi: 12mA in active mode, 5uA in standby
- Lora: 15mA in active mode, 10uA in standby

That's surprising, as I understand it the ESP32 consumes ~175mA when WiFi is transmitting? But then I guess this 12mA number may be when the device merely has WiFi enabled, not transmitting or receiving. Expensive though, about USD $100 for the device and the development expansion board. And if you want to experiment with LoRa you would need two.

Roberthh

Re: pycom boards

Post by Roberthh » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:25 pm

I have a LoPy board and it works so far. The power consumption numbers are possible, but only with a special shield that compensates for a design flaw, preventing ultra low power. That should be integrated in the recent expansion board, or comes with it.
The Python variants differ a bit. The communication modules (WiFi, Bluetooth and LoRa) are supported well.
The have also a forum at https://forum.pycom.io/, which discusses a lot the aspect of power consumption.

The price you mention is not valid. If you look at the pycom.io web shop https://pycom.io/webshop/, the LoPy comes at 30 €, the WiPy (which is more or less just a esp32 board) is tagged at 20 €, and so on.

Personally I have the impression, that the micropython port is a little bit more stable, but the pycom.io port offers more functionality.

Capstan

Post by Capstan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure where I saw that price, may have been looking at the wrong thing. I assume I would need the LoPy, an expansion board, and probably the antenna? Have you tried communicating between two of the devices with LoRa radio?

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:48 am

Actually I did not try that yet. But if you look into the pycom.io forum, it sounds as if communication between two LoPys is supported.
And yes, you need an external antenna for LoRa. The board antenna is for WiFi only.

jcrfonera

Post by jcrfonera » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:23 pm

I tested two modules, a module as node and a module as gateway in Lora Lora mode.
Works really well with a range> 1 Km with trees and hills as obstacles.
tested in mode sf=7 gives a good transfer rate in bidirectional mode.

Capstan

Post by Capstan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:47 am

Good to know. Thanks!