ESP32 PCB questions

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
Capstan

ESP32 PCB questions

Post by Capstan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:52 pm

I'd like to have an ESP32 prototype circuit board fabricated with some custom breakouts, a power regulator, etc. Has anyone on the forum successfully done this?

I'm trying to use Fritzing to design the board, and I found a 'testbed' part that seems like a good place to start. It basically breaks out all the pins into two rows of headers that could plug into a board I design.

https://github.com/sparkfun/ESP32_Misce ... r/Fritzing

But I'm getting confused. It looks like the part was created by Sparkfun, and it is available in the Fritzing parts bin. Is this a part I'm supposed to be able to buy? It isn't showing on the Sparkfun website.

Capstan

Re: ESP32 PCB questions

Post by Capstan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:19 pm

From Sparkfun;
"That was a test board we did almost two years ago, in our early testing days for the ESP32 and the ESP-WROOM-03. I think we probably made a couple of them for in-house testing before we released our boards, but I’m afraid that was the extent of it."

So, what are people using to make PCB's?

Capstan

Post by Capstan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:28 am

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:36 am

You can get boards like that on ebay, e.g. http:http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP8266-ESP32-E ... SwnHZYUZSM
For almost the same price you'll get a Wemos Lolin 32, full assembled & tested.

Capstan

Post by Capstan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:19 pm

Roberthh wrote:You can get boards like that on ebay
Right, but I'm not looking for a development board, have several of those already. I want to move to the next step and design my own custom boards that incorporate an ESP32 module. I was hoping for a Fritzing PCB template that includes an ESP32 footprint (ESP-WROOM-32 or similar) because Fritzing is free and relatively easy, but I am seeing Eagle library parts such as the following;

https://github.com/MacroYau/MacroYau-Eagle-Libraries

Capstan

Post by Capstan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:01 pm

Yeah, had seen that on first search. Broken, unfortunately. Many of the pins aren't clickable and it makes a giant breakout that looks like it was the base part used by Sparkfun and then abandoned.

loboris

Post by loboris » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:08 pm

If you have ever designed any PCB it shouldn't be hard to design your own ESP32 board, especialy if you are using the module (ESP-WROM-32 or ESP32-WROVER). All necessary documentation is available. You can use free PCB Design & Schematic software like Eagle or KiCad and there are dozens of projects on GitHub which you can use as the base for your design.
If you don't have experience in PCB design, be aware that it is easy to make a mistake which will make your board unusable. You must know the exact characteristics of all the components you are using and how they interact with each other.

Capstan

Post by Capstan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:45 am

loboris wrote:If you have ever designed any PCB it shouldn't be hard to design your own ESP32 board, especialy if you are using the module (ESP-WROM-32 or ESP32-WROVER). All necessary documentation is available. You can use free PCB Design & Schematic software like Eagle or KiCad and there are dozens of projects on GitHub which you can use as the base for your design.
I've made some hand-soldered prototype boards that work just fine, now ready to convert to PCB prototype. If there are "dozens of projects on GitHub" that incorporate the ESP32 I'd like to see a few, so far have found only the ones I mentioned previously.

Eagle and Kicad are very complicated applications. Knowing how to read and write doesn't mean you will immediately be able to operate all of the word processing software that's available. I did manage to get a fair handle on Fritzing, may try to transfer the Eagle design file to something Fritzing can import. If that doesn't work I'll have to learn the rudiments of Eagle.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:57 am

It is possible to create your own parts in Fritzing. Or perhaps you can adapt the one you found.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.