GPS on ESP32 running micropython

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
javargas26

GPS on ESP32 running micropython

Post by javargas26 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:23 pm

Is there a library for GPS? and if so, where can I find it?

TravisT

Re: GPS on ESP32 running micropython

Post by TravisT » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:35 pm

There are many different GPS modules available, and even thought they mostly use AT commands they can easily be a little different. Most of them also use RS232 TTL and mostly do not require drivers because of that.

I would suggest picking a common GPS module and working with it using a terminal program and a USB to serial adapter. Then after you get it to work, write a simple script to do the same in a more automated way.

Antoine

Post by Antoine » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:27 pm

I would be interested to know if you had any success using a GPS module with an ESP32. I have been trying for quite some time to read NMEA lines from a NEO-7M module, without success: most lines get corrupted. Although, I sometimes get lucky and after reboot everything works, but since this happens only once every 50 reboot or so, this is not usable. You can read it all on the thread I started here: viewtopic.php?t=3701

Note that the I can read the GPS module on a Raspberry Pi Zero using python, or on the ESP32 using the Arduino IDE, but I could not manage on the ESP32 using micropython.

TravisT

Post by TravisT » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:39 am

I have not had issues with the uart on the Wipy modules, so if there really is something wrong with the uart implementation it is localized to the micropython.org port. I remember hearing that many of the pycom features would feed into the micropython.org port but not sure how that is going.

One thing I am not sure about is how buffers are implemented in the ESP32 port, as NMEA messages can be quite long. As I think others have suggested on your other thread, streaming characters into a buffer yourself might help.

tuupola

Post by tuupola » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:59 am

I have been using Quectel GNSS L76-L successfully for a while.