Anyone recommending a good IDE?

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
liudr

Anyone recommending a good IDE?

Post by liudr » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:11 am

I used Esplorer for a while but realized that the script it sends to ESP32 is missing new line characters so everything is jumbled up into one line. I could use a text editor and ampy but I'd like to have both the interpreter active and being able to send file to the board for debugging purposes. I also tried uPiCraft from dfrobot What IDE do you use and would you recommend it?

Are there any other ways to send files such as ftp or telnet? I know WebREPL app can send files. Can I do that using serial REPL?

liudr

Re: Anyone recommending a good IDE?

Post by liudr » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:43 am

I just tried ampy. It used to work alright but now the files it transfer also loses line ending. I might have done something wrong when compiling custom firmware using lobo's fork. Will any wrong setting in menuconfig make micropython discard line endings when a file is transferred?

[EDIT:] This is the fault of Esplorer. It didn't send new line characters. Later when I was using ampy, I didn't include a destination file name so I've been looking at the SAME file Esplorer sent over and over. I found a forked version of Esplorer. It got rid of the problem. All is good now. Still wish to have a better IDE though.
Last edited by liudr on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:38 am

I suggest you ask in the Lobo Forum.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:35 am

Depending on which version of the firmware you use, there is ftp and telnet. The loboris fork offers both. For the micropython.org mainline I've adapted a ftp server script, that you have to transfoer to your device once, e.g. with ampy.
You'll find it here: https://github.com/robert-hh/ESP8266-FT ... ter/ftp.py
It works both on esp32 and esp8266, and it works in foreground. You have to start it from the repl prompt, and it is set up to quit once the client terminates.

OutoftheBOTS_

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:21 am

I use Laboris port and FTP to transfer/edit files using filezilla. In filezilla you can specify what software you want to edit what type of file with. I have filezilla using note++ with *.py files but you can use what ever python IDE you like with it. Also means you can cut the cable and do it all wifi.

liudr

Post by liudr » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Thanks Roberthh! That sounds like exactly what I want, an active REPL to type in commands for debugging and an ftp to send files. I'll check it out tonight.

OutoftheBOTS_, I thought the lobo ftp is for the module to ftp into other servers. Do you mind giving me a hand how to do it? I'm pretty new to MicroPython. I learned about it about 6 months ago. Played with ESP8266 for a bit, realized it would never have enough pins to do what I need it to do. 6 months later (now) I am revisiting MicroPython with an ESP32 module. I think I'm getting somewhere with this module. Lobo's firmware really helps with the curl and other features.

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:45 pm

The lobo ftp is an ftp server, to ftp into the ESP32. And this port also offers telnet.

OutoftheBOTS_

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:50 pm

Loboris port is pretty easy to do this as it is already built in.

For repl of over telnet here is the wiki https://github.com/loboris/MicroPython_ ... lnetserver

For file transfer/edit over FTP https://github.com/loboris/MicroPython_ ... /ftpserver

I put some code in my main.py that connects to my wifi router and starts a telnet and FTP servers that way everything is auto and if I want it not to be auto I just change the name of main.py and reset.

Also for Loboris FTP it used to only do passive FTP (may have changed now as I noticed Laboris post updates to the FTP but the wiki hasn't yet been updated). Passive FTP on a linux system isn't a problem but windows does block passive FTP as a security threat and filezilla seems to be the only program that gets passive FTP through windows. I do believe RobertHH FTP does both active and passive FTP

OutoftheBOTS_

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:02 pm

I also added this code to my boot.py so that I can reload my program without having to reset the ESP32 all the time. I do believe that laboris has added something like this to the boot.py provided with his firmware for the same purposes

Code: Select all

import gc
from sys import modules
def reload(mod):
  mod_name = mod.__name__
  del sys.modules[mod_name]
  gc.collect()
  return __import__(mod_name)

liudr

Post by liudr » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:42 am

OutoftheBOTS_ wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:50 pm
Loboris port is pretty easy to do this as it is already built in.

For repl of over telnet here is the wiki https://github.com/loboris/MicroPython_ ... lnetserver

For file transfer/edit over FTP https://github.com/loboris/MicroPython_ ... /ftpserver

I put some code in my main.py that connects to my wifi router and starts a telnet and FTP servers that way everything is auto and if I want it not to be auto I just change the name of main.py and reset.

Also for Loboris FTP it used to only do passive FTP (may have changed now as I noticed Laboris post updates to the FTP but the wiki hasn't yet been updated). Passive FTP on a linux system isn't a problem but windows does block passive FTP as a security threat and filezilla seems to be the only program that gets passive FTP through windows. I do believe RobertHH FTP does both active and passive FTP
Thanks. I settled with this method. It works alright. I wish the Npp FTP plugin works as well but it doesn't. I'm using MobaXTerm. One window is the serial REPL and another window is the FTP client. I then use Npp to edit files.