Any settings needed to use external antenna?

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
liudr

Any settings needed to use external antenna?

Post by liudr » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:24 pm

I bought a few WOVER processor modules that come with both PCB trace antenna and a connector for an external antenna. Do I need to change any settings to use an external antenna? Thanks.

BTW, how do I read the strength of signal for each router?

loboris

Re: Any settings needed to use external antenna?

Post by loboris » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:42 pm

liudr wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:24 pm
I bought a few WOVER processor modules that come with both PCB trace antenna and a connector for an external antenna. Do I need to change any settings to use an external antenna? Thanks.

BTW, how do I read the strength of signal for each router?
If your module has IPEX antenna connector (ESP32-WROVER-I), the PCB antenna should be disconnected (no R15 ressistor soldered) and is not used.

network.WLAN scan() method returns signal strength (rssi) as the 4th item in the returned tuple for each detected AP.

liudr

Post by liudr » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:20 am

Loboris,
Thanks. Here is a link to the modules I bought:

https://www.banggood.com/ESP32-WROVER-E ... rehouse=CN

Consistent with the pictures on the website, my module has a resistor on R14 position. I guess I will have to use an external antenna otherwise there won't be any receptions.

I also have a separate dev board with ESP32 directly integrated on board with flash and pSRAM, instead of in a module form factor. It has a 3D antenna and an IPEX connector. No idea where this resistor might be. So regarding this resistor, is it connected between the RF output pin and the antenna? What should be its value?

loboris

Post by loboris » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:13 am

liudr wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:20 am
... No idea where this resistor might be. So regarding this resistor, is it connected between the RF output pin and the antenna? What should be its value?
The resistors R14 and R15 (on WROVER module) just switches RF output to antenna connector or PCB antenna. They are 0 ohm resistors (jumpers).
Your other board should also have such jumpers.

liudr

Post by liudr » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:05 pm

Great! Thanks. I'll put these in my ESP32 learning notes.