Long range WiFi

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
ajocius

Long range WiFi

Post by ajocius » Thu May 03, 2018 7:21 pm

Is there any Long Range Wifi on ESP32? Mine is connecting to Wifi only when it is close by. Tried 1-2 meters, it works. When i move away 5 meters, does not work. Not sure if sending or receiving does not work, as i try to send mqtt message to it and get response back.

My final placement is around 10 meters from WiFi spot, a window and plastic greenhouse wall in between. I have read somewhere that wifi range should be around 20 meters on this device, but somehow can not make it that long...

If long range wifi mode exist, how do I turn it on?

OutoftheBOTS_

Re: Long range WiFi

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Thu May 03, 2018 8:59 pm

You might need to check the antenna of the ESP32.

Does it have a PCB antenna?? or does it have the connector for an external antenna??

My ESP32 with PCB antenna works well over much larger distances than you quote and I do believe people are using ESP32 at up to 1km

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Fri May 04, 2018 7:05 am

The 1km range uses a special mode supported only by Pycom. WiFi range depends heavily on local conditions but I get about 60 metres to my AP with the ESP32/ESP8266 onboard antennas.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

ajocius

Post by ajocius » Fri May 04, 2018 9:42 am

Found the reason... Power cable connection to ESP32 was not tight enough... I had red LED on ESP32 on, so I assumed all is fine with power. Replaced cable, made sure it is plugged 100% in and tight and now it is working with distance aprox 10m. Did not test longer distance, as did not need it. Sorry for the noise in the forum. At then end of the day it might be valuable info for somebody else running into same problem.