Putty is slow

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
varsha1927

Putty is slow

Post by varsha1927 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:04 am

I am using serial terminal putty for using micropython on ESP32. I installed micropython on the board and and when i connected using putty, it is showing Micropython version and all, but it is very slow(equal to not reacting) so i cant type any commands. I cant find where the problem is. Please help. I tried using another serial terminal coolTerm. The same problem is happening there also. Is it problem with my ESP32 board?

mosi

Re: Putty is slow

Post by mosi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:23 pm

It might help to know more.

which ESP32 board?
which PC operating system?
which drivers are you using?
which micropython version?

ESP32 chip does not have UART on the processor. Which chip is it using? FTDI or SILxxx ...

I suspect the following order of error probability:

1. your drivers are not proper. Install newest drivers for your UART chip on your ESP32 board (contact manufacturer of your board for more info if you don't know)
2. your terminal configuration is incorrect. Usually you aim for 115200 Baud 8N1, but your micropython or ESP32 board might use different baudrate
3. micropython for ESP32 is not easy to install for beginners, Loboris micropython build is the best.

cefn

Post by cefn » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:06 pm

Incidentally I am curious to know if I can get my 'vanguard shell' command to autodetect and connect for you, (which I have been engineering to try and get around the problems people face getting terminals installed and configured properly to connect to Micropython boards).

You can investigate it at https://pypi.org/project/vgkits-vanguard/

There's a non-zero chance that 'vanguard shell' 'vanguard put' 'vanguard rm' will just work first time for you, although I would need to add board detection for `vanguard brainwash` and `vanguard braindump` to work on ESP32

The aim is that it's so easy to install, it shouldn't cost you a lot to try out anyway.

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Did you switch off flow control in putty?

mattyt

Post by mattyt » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:53 am

Sounds very much like flow control, as @Roberthh mentioned.

To clarify, Flow Control, in the Connection/Serial category, needs to be set to None:
putty_flow_control.png
putty_flow_control.png (28.62 KiB) Viewed 4214 times

LastRed1

Post by LastRed1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:38 am

I've been fighting my microPython connection with PUTTY for two weeks. It would print microPython header and initial prompt ">>" and then not respond to my input. I know that it was working correctly, because it was burning correct firmware (getting proper outputs).

I finally saw this post regarding the --necessary-- PUTTY setting of flow control "None".

Changed from PUTTY serial configuration from "Xon/Xoff" to "None" for the microPython serial port and problem solved.

Sometimes it the the little things that hold you up.

:D Thanks! :D Thanks! :D Thanks!