Any resources to help me work collaborately with MicroPython's main team?

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
liudr

Any resources to help me work collaborately with MicroPython's main team?

Post by liudr » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:40 pm

I'm experienced in C/C++ and just learned enough Python to make it useful. I'd like to expand the current hardware support such as adding some ADC, RTC, and other devices that I have no problem finding support from Arduino side of things. Some of these libraries that are open source could be ported to MicroPython if I knew how. Where do I start? When I have a piece of hardware that had no known Arduino library, I can bite the bullet and write one myself. When I encounter this in MicroPython, I don't know where to begin. It's like I am being useless to others.

pythoncoder

Re: Any resources to help me work collaborately with MicroPython's main team?

Post by pythoncoder » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:22 am

I would suggest following the project on GitHub, studying other people's PR's. Also read the developer workflow and coding and commit standards. If you plan to add a new feature it can save wasted effort to raise an RFC issue so it can be discussed first.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

mattyt

Post by mattyt » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:34 pm

@pythoncoder's suggestions are, as always, excellent. In particular, a lot happens under the radar amongst the issues in Github.

I'm not one that typically learns well from video's but a few things clicked when Damien George - creator of MicroPython - presented how to Wrap a C module in MicroPython at the June Melbourne MicroPython Meetup. Sounds like it might be useful to you too?

I also found it helpful to read through a lot of forum posts here too...

I do acknowledge that it's not particularly easy to learn how to apply C/C++ knowledge to the project. In order to help us improve the situation, can I ask that you try to note everything that is confusing and unclear? At some stage I'd like to improve the documentation to make it easier to get started - and you're in a great position to identify the biggest stumbling blocks!

liudr

Post by liudr » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:40 pm

Great! I'll start working on these resources! Thanks a bunch!

BTW, when someone wants to start writing Arduino libraries (in C/C++), I usually ask them to read the EEPROM library, which is short and has features in the plain that can be more easily understood (it's become more complex now but you can always download an earlier version of Arduino IDE). I hope that I'll discover similar MicroPython modules that gives me an easy insider's view of the workings of these modules in general.

stijn

Post by stijn » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:35 pm

liudr wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:40 pm
I hope that I'll discover similar MicroPython modules that gives me an easy insider's view of the workings of these modules in general.
Look around for c filenames starting with 'mod' in any of the micropython/port/ subdirectories

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:59 pm

And be aware that many of the peripherals on the STM32 port are handled by the HAL, which can be found in the micropython/lib/stm32 directory tree.