Introducing the TinyPICO

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
mattyt

Introducing the TinyPICO

Post by mattyt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:01 am

Hi folks,

Way back in September I posted that Seon (@seonr) and I had begun development on a small ESP32 board that was breadboard - and MicroPython! - friendly.

The design has been improved and refined over a number of revisions - in no small part due to the excellent feedback we received from this community - and we recently decided to create a Crowd Supply campaign. The TinyPICO Coming Soon page has just gone live!

We tried to incorporate the more interesting features you could want in such a board: USB serial, 4MB PSRAM, an onboard APA102, LiPo battery management, a reasonable number of GPIOs, a 3D antenna with good WiFi characteristics and a decent regulator. At 18x32mm we've been able to keep it small.

To those that provided feedback, thank-you! The TinyPICO is better for your input. Please do register at Crowd Supply if you're interested but I'll also post when the campaign goes live.

Cheers,
Matt (and Seon)

OutoftheBOTS_

Re: Introducing the TinyPICO

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:46 am

Looks very good.

You should put a 20 cent piece next to the board for people to reference the size.

stijn

Post by stijn » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:57 am

Don't know which currency you're talking about, but just putting a ruler next to it is going to be clearer :D (ok, still a couple of possibilities, but more people are goig to know those)

Mike Teachman

Post by Mike Teachman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Congratulation you guys ! This is looking really good. Registered for the sale...

One suggestion on a photo: how about a top-down photo showing the module plugged into a breadboard? perhaps better than a country-specific coin for trying to illustrate the compact module size?

Is it possible to release a schematic? I'm curious about:
- switching out the serial-USB converter during battery power
- auto-reset cct for integration with esptool
- V regulator used

I like the GND pins on both sides and the top layer ground plane that is visible in the photos.

seonr

Post by seonr » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:58 pm

Mike Teachman wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:32 pm
Congratulation you guys ! This is looking really good. Registered for the sale...

One suggestion on a photo: how about a top-down photo showing the module plugged into a breadboard? perhaps better than a country-specific coin for trying to illustrate the compact module size?

Is it possible to release a schematic? I'm curious about:
- switching out the serial-USB converter during battery power
- auto-reset cct for integration with esptool
- V regulator used

I like the GND pins on both sides and the top layer ground plane that is visible in the photos.
Thanks Mike :-)

The project will be going open source once the campaign starts up, so you'll be able to see all the guts, glory and well... some of my whacky decisions ;)

I pic on a breadboard is a great idea, thanks!

Seon
UnexpectedMaker

seonr

Post by seonr » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:46 pm

I've not had a chance to take a breadboard shot yet, but here is a shot of TinyPICO next to some other popular ESP based dev boards...
https://www.tinypico.com/news

Also, we launched our new TinyPICO website!

Cheers,
Seon
UnexpectedMaker