TinyPICO Firmware

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
paulg

TinyPICO Firmware

Post by paulg » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:22 pm

What is the difference between the TinyPICO firmware and the GENERIC-SPIRAM firmware?

jimmo

Re: TinyPICO Firmware

Post by jimmo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:11 pm

Right now, there's no difference I think, but Seon's plan is to make it include some extra libraries to support board functionality (like the rgb led). (Which I think are included in the firmware it ships with?)

seonr

Post by seonr » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:53 pm

Jimmo is correct... the TinyPICO firmware that I ship on the board ( this link https://github.com/tinypico/tinypico-mi ... r/firmware ) includes all of the TinyPICO specific helpers and Dotstar library included frozen in the firmware, instead of requiring them to be added to the file system.

These changes have been submitted as a pull request in mainline so that should be merged "soon?" Then the TinyPICO version on the official MP downloads page will also include this by default.

It also uses QIO instead of DIO to improve Flash speed, but that might already be merged...

Cheers,

Seon
Unexpected Maker

paulg

Post by paulg » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:14 pm

Thanks Jimmo.
Yeah, the TinyPICO firmware contains several .py files in the filesystem that control the RGB LED etc. As far as I can tell they are not incorporated as frozen byte code.
If one burns the TinyPICO firmware into the module, one can then (using rshell) copy the above files back to the host PC/Mac. Given this, is there any point in further using the TinyPICO firmware?

paulg

Post by paulg » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:21 pm

Sorry Seon, Your reply must have come in while I was editing mine!

seonr

Post by seonr » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:00 am

No problems @paulg :)
So now that 1.12 is out, the TinyPICO helper stuff is now frozen as byte code in the firmware - yay!

Cheers,
Seon