ESP32S and adapter board

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
djipey

Re: ESP32S and adapter board

Post by djipey » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:36 pm

Perfect, thank you for your detailed reply, you answered just before I edited my last message :)

I didn't know about the response time of the capacitors, but it makes sense. One more question: why is the ESP32 so much more complicated than the ESP8266 ? I don't need all these peripherals to use an ESP8266.

OutoftheBOTS_

Re: ESP32S and adapter board

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:56 am

Having only learnt a bit about circuits and not being an experienced engineer my understanding is it is very standard design to put caps on IC's for stability. With MCU's the faster and faster the clock speed and the more the parallel peripherals they have to run the more sensitive they become to dips in power supply.

It seems pretty standard design for any PCB to have a big cap (usually 200 to 300 uf) on the main supply then at least 1 cap of size 4.7uf or 1uf or 0.1uf on any IC and any sensitive IC will have 2 caps usually a 10uf and a 0.1uf.

Remember these chips see a high as a 1 and a low as a 0 so if the power dips when it is processing a 1 the chip will see it as a 0 and you will get ghosts in the machine.