modem sleep

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
seandepagnier

modem sleep

Post by seandepagnier » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:22 pm

I have searched the forum and come to the conclusion that light and modem sleep modes are not supported in micropython, is this correct?

I am measuring 150mA power consumption. Looking for a way to get power below 30mA maintaining a wifi connection, but wake on a button press. It takes too long to reboot, and also a while for wifi to reassociate for deep sleep to work.

Is there a way to use lighter sleeps in micropython, and if so, why has it not been implemented when deep sleep support was?

rcolistete

Re: modem sleep

Post by rcolistete » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:55 am

It seems that the 'esp32-low-power' is a version of MicroPython for ESP332 developed by you , corresponding to different branch of MicroPython source code :
https://github.com/tve/micropython/tree/esp32-low-power

It would be interesting to promote your contributions.
My "MicroPython Samples". My "MicroPython Firmwares" with many options (double precision, ulab, etc).

tve

Post by tve » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:09 am

You may be misunderstanding the way github works. The link I posted is to the pull request to incorporate the changes I made into the mainline. The changes are made in a branch on my fork, which is the normal way to develop new stuff.
All this being said, the pull request is a bit stalled for a variety of reasons, some of which are in the comments on the pull request. You can also see from the docs that I linked that there are a bunch of caveats due to the way peripherals are clocked if you're using the automatic light-sleep feature. In any case, since no-one has posted any "I want this" comment on the pull request I haven't spent the time to rethink and perhaps iterate on it.

rcolistete

Post by rcolistete » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:47 pm

I've seen your PR. I am just suggesting better promoting your contributions, like in this forum, as they are very useful.
My "MicroPython Samples". My "MicroPython Firmwares" with many options (double precision, ulab, etc).

seandepagnier

Post by seandepagnier » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:57 pm

I just got around to trying this out today. I have a few questions:

1) light sleep -- in the source code it's commented out so the parameter to set it is ignored. What exactly is the problem? The rtos ticks too fast? I guess I'm wondering why it can't be used to suspend the processor and wake from various sources.

2) listen interval -- is there a way to dynamically set this or do i have to reconnect to wifi every time to change it?

3) is it possible to put everything one 1 core and depower one core to get lower power consumption?