TTGO T-WATCH-2020

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
renaudrenaud

Re: TTGO T-WATCH-2020

Post by renaudrenaud » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:24 pm

Well, well, well... Is there any simple way to change the font size? It seems to me there is only one font in one size hardcoded in a file, using https://gitlab.com/mooond/t-watch2020-e ... icropython

jhfoo

Post by jhfoo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:49 pm

renaudrenaud wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:24 pm
Well, well, well... Is there any simple way to change the font size? It seems to me there is only one font in one size hardcoded in a file, using https://gitlab.com/mooond/t-watch2020-e ... icropython
This may help: https://github.com/peterhinch/micropython-font-to-py

renaudrenaud

Post by renaudrenaud » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:01 am

Thanks...

I am starting to be tired of MicroPython finally. I can program the Watch in c. I really love python and this is my everyday business, I never earned so much money than today with my skill in this language.

I also code for my pleasure. The low end is with Chinese Arduino clones, ultra low cost and working fine. In the other side, Orange Pi zero card offers for less than 10$ an OS, full python support, wifi etc...

The tt watc is another try for me to go to micropython and ESPxx. But I found the return on invest is really looooow. Cost wise, Arduino clones are less expansive. If I need more power, I can have for 10$ a single board computer. An ESP32 will cost 5$, but I think the confort of a full "computer" is worth 5$ more.

TT Watch was a try to find a use case, especially something to try with students in september, but I am more productive with c and the ESP32 is really faster with c.

Do not know what is the next step, but not really in love with micropython.

Anyway, thanks for your help, I've learn a bit more on the subject.

rcolistete

Post by rcolistete » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 pm

I think that your issue is with TTGO T-WATCH-2020 & not so good MicroPython support.

While M5Stack has better MicroPython support, IMHO.
For example, M5StickC + Wall adapter + Watch Belt, US$11.95 :
- AliExpress M5Stack official store;
- M5Stack official store;

UIFlow is MicroPython + Blockly by M5Stack.

But you can also install MicroPython v1.12 mainline for ESP32 (without PSRAM), adding this scripts from the M5Stack user community :
lukasmaximus89 / M5Stick-C-Micropython-1.12

I've made a tutorial about M5StickC + UIFlow / MicroPython, need to be update and is still in portuguese (I'll do a english version next month).
My "MicroPython Samples". My "MicroPython Firmwares" with many options (double precision, ulab, etc).

jhfoo

Post by jhfoo » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:09 pm

Micropython as a language is fine. It's the priority and support within the ESP32 hardware ecosystem; it's all going first to C/ C++. That's the truth today.

I'm not going to tell you micro-p is better; it's very situational. For me it requires a lot of trial-error learning. If you're super comfy with C/ C++ that's cool. Maybe one day you can help bridge more modules for micro-p. My personal drive for micro-p is that it's a lot faster to prototype.

moooond

Post by moooond » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:50 pm

I am fluent in C and arduino is nice.. but micropython has its place for prototyping. as the documentation for the ttgo watch is rather sparse there is reverse engineering. to be able to quickly try out a different thing without going to the compile & upload cycle.

also today we often want things with builtin web interface or uploading things to a web api etc... high-level stuff that is easy to hack together in python.. i think it is really cool to just upload an of the shelf micropython image and have control over most of the hardware..

husky

Post by husky » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:45 pm

Hi,
My TWATCH-2020 has arrived today.
Are you working on a common project or are you each building your own project?
Any interest in doing an OpenSource project for the watch?

mattyt

Post by mattyt » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:08 pm

It might be a good idea to port Daniel Thompson's wasp-os. He's already implemented a lot of the basics...

husky

Post by husky » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:18 am

I've been looking at the wasp-os project and it's pretty focused on nrf chips and very little ram. I have started modifying wasp to work on esp32.
I would like to focus on consumption, try to make the clock work for a minimum of 15 hours.
Assuming that of those 15 hours, 2 hours are with the screen on.
Receiving Android notifications every 5 minutes.
I think it is better to use the Light Sleep Mode than the Deep Sleep Mode.

torwag

Post by torwag » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:24 pm

Hi,
I got mine a couple of days ago... I couldn't resist.
It's a nice gadget. Not exactly a champion in build quality but running MP on it is fun.
In regard to Franz repro,
I could not run the paint function as it seems there is something wrong with the touch recognition.
But it is very much fun to go through the libs and see that all of those different bits and pieces of the watch are tangled together in micropython. Good Job Franz!

Now I really need a nice idea for a certain function which can't be found in normal smartwatches and which would make it so awesome to run micropython on that watch.