WiFi or BLE for mobile phone connectivity?

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
Divergentti

WiFi or BLE for mobile phone connectivity?

Post by Divergentti » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:39 am

I am drafting some sort of pan and tilt for ~1 kg Nikon P900 camera. With Nikon I can use remotely WiFi (NFC) to control camera, which to my understanding means that I shall control pan and tilt turntable with bluetooth, because mobile phone's wifi is hooked to Nikon.

So, machanical design I will do with Fusion360 and 3D printer. That already is challenging, but doable.

For controlling pan and tilt system from mobile phone, I would like to use ESP32-Wroom or ESP32-Wrover and micropython (which I understand a little bit) to control at least two stepper motors for X and Y movements. I presume controlling stepper motors is not problem. Never done that, but at least internet search brings a few examples.

But for bluetooth ... this document https://docs.micropython.org/en/latest/ ... tooth.html describes that L2CAP is not available for ESP32, so, I presume sending acknowledgeable packets (such as coordinates and limiter switch information) is not doable with ESP32 and bluetooth? Or do I misunderstand something?

dukeduck

Re: WiFi or BLE for mobile phone connectivity?

Post by dukeduck » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:17 pm

you can send stepper control info via BLE UART.