ESP32 Bluetooth classic

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
LoiraoENG

ESP32 Bluetooth classic

Post by LoiraoENG » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:34 pm

Hi everyone!

I have been working in a college project with my ESP32 board and I have some problems/questions. I need to connect my ESP32 to my android smartphone with Bluetooth classic but I couldn`t. I have already connected using BLE but now i need the BT classic.

Could you help me?

jimmo

Re: ESP32 Bluetooth classic

Post by jimmo » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:29 am

LoiraoENG wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:34 pm
I have already connected using BLE but now i need the BT classic.
The ESP32 does technically support BT Classic but there are currently no MicroPython bindings for it.

The ESP32 SDK provides two different Bluetooth stacks -- NimBLE (whcih only does BLE) or BlueDroid (which does both). For compatibility with other ports we've only provided bindings for the NimBLE stack.

So... it's definitely possible to do this, but it's not a small amount of work unfortunately.

Why do you specifically need Classic? Which profile are you implementing?

LoiraoENG

Post by LoiraoENG » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:10 pm

Hi!

I have been trying to measure the power consumption using Wi-Fi, BLE and BT classic to show the difference between them. I managed to implement Wi-Fi and BLE.

I just need to connect the ESP32 to my smartphone and measure the power consumption, a simple connection.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:57 pm

LoiraoENG wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:10 pm
I just need to connect the ESP32 to my smartphone and measure the power consumption, a simple connection.
Maybe try doing this from an IDF example instead then? (Instead of MicroPython)

The other option is you could try building one of the Bluekitchen examples for ESP32. https://github.com/bluekitchen/btstack