Could not enter raw repl in fresh install

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
mflmartin

Could not enter raw repl in fresh install

Post by mflmartin » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:45 am

Hi!

This thing is weird. I had been using a module (AZDELIVERY ESp32), flashed it, and I was pushing python files without any issue using pyboard.py. At one moment this module became unresponsive, and I started getting this error:

Code: Select all

python pyboard.py --device COM4 test.py

could not enter raw repl
So I did 4 things:

1. I erased flash memory and reflashed it with esp32-idf4-20210202-v1.14.bin, erasing all the files (in case there was something stuck)

2. I tested in that module, again, and I can not even use uPyLoader or pyboard.py to push files...

3. I changed and tested different ports in my pc and microusb cables, just in case. Nothing.

4. So I changed to another module, brand new. Extracted from it's plastic bag. Erased memory, flashed the bin, and the same thing is happening. Which makes no sense. I don't know what to test anymore.

When I issue the "mode" command in Windows I get this: Which seems "ok" unless I am missing something.

Status for device COM4:
-----------------------
    Baud:            115200
    Parity:          None
    Data Bits:       8
    Stop Bits:       1
    Timeout:         OFF
    XON/XOFF:        OFF
    CTS handshaking: OFF
    DSR handshaking: OFF
    DSR sensitivity: OFF
    DTR circuit:     OFF
    RTS circuit:     OFF
Any ideas? (Thanks in advance!!)

mflmartin

Re: Could not enter raw repl in fresh install

Post by mflmartin » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:01 pm

Also, weird enough, with uPYLoader, I can see the boot.py files, it connects to the device, but when I try to see that file with uPYLoader, this program crashes and becomes unresponsive.

jimmo

Re: Could not enter raw repl in fresh install

Post by jimmo » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:28 am

I'm not quite sure what's happened here...

Can you confirm how you erased flash memory (assuming it was the "esptool.py erase_flash" command?).

When the board is in this state are you able to connect to it just with a regular serial console? e.g. TeraTerm or Putty?