ARM Devices supported?

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
Dogboy

ARM Devices supported?

Post by Dogboy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:53 pm

Hello,

I am new to MicroPython but not new to microcontrollers.

I am working on a project where cost is the main concern so I require a low cost, low pin count (32 Pin or less) ARM MCU.
A Cortex M0 or M0+ would be ideal. My main requirements are 2 x UART, 1x SPI, 1x I2C and a few general purpose IO pins etc.
I need to drive a OLED (128 x 64) or small LCD display along with a GSM module and WiFi Later, and I2C battery management for charge control / fuel gauge and also a one wire network (Via an I2C Bridge)

Could anyone recommend a board or a ARM MCU that works well with MicroPython.
I am not to sure if their is a list of supported devices or not, can't seem to find much on this.

I have already purchased the Pyboard V1.1 to play with but the cost of the ARM device is far to expensive and an overkill for what I need in performance. Currently the project uses a 28 Pin PIC18F device (And works well running at 20MHz) but I would like to migrate this project over to Micropython.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated :D

Thanks

Paul

deshipu

Re: ARM Devices supported?

Post by deshipu » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:30 pm

The easiest way is to just look into the ports directory of the repository and see what is in 'boards'. Not all of them are equally well supported, though.

Does it have to be an ARM? You could use one of the Espressif chips for this, especially since they already handle wifi.

SpotlightKid

Post by SpotlightKid » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:14 am

The VCC-GND STM32F407VET6 available e.g. on AliExpress are only around 11 bucks and only slightly larger than the pyboard. They're largely compatible with the pyboard, minus the missing peripherals.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2889&p=17049

And here's the board definition from the same author as the post above:

https://github.com/mcauser/VCC_GND_F407

Dogboy

Post by Dogboy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your replies.

I have since looked at the ESP32 module which has a low price for the OEM versions.
The main reason I wanted an ARM device is due to the cost of less than 60 pence for a 16 pin device that would be suitable and thats for a one off retail price.
As this is for a product which the final design will be on a custom PCB I wanted to get away from using modules.

However, the ESP32 OEM module includes bluetooth and WiFi so will bring down the cost overall and design time. So, it looks like that is the way to go maybe.

Interesting links, thanks - Certainly opens up further reading / thinking about this further.

Cheers

Paul

deshipu

Post by deshipu » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:56 pm

One more possibility, you can use a SAMD21 chip, and CircuitPython — a fork of MicroPython that supports that chip. It's especially good if you need native USB support.

Dogboy

Post by Dogboy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi,

Yes, I did look at that and I thought that was a good idea.
Will certainly look into that further. And of course there are many SAMD21 Dev boards available at low cost.

Thanks

Paul