Micropython architecture

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
lnsri22

Micropython architecture

Post by lnsri22 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:33 am

What should be my answer, if someone asks me to explain the architecture of micropython :cry:
lnsri22 :)

ThomasChr

Re: Micropython architecture

Post by ThomasChr » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:40 am

Interpreter running directly on the hardware without any thing in between.
(which is not correct for the ESP32 Port because this one has RTOS between Micropython an the hardware!)
I think there are many possible right answers to this question.

lnsri22

Post by lnsri22 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:02 am

Thomas, thanks for the quick reply!!

This is nice and catchy!!

In other ways to put this question, I would like to understand how modules/sources are inter-linked and how a firmware is built for a particular port

Thanks again!! :)
lnsri22 :)

ahmed_ashraf

Post by ahmed_ashraf » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:25 pm

could you please tell me why esp32 Port has RTOS between Micropython and the hardware?
I have searched for the reason but I couldn't find the answer, So could you please tell me why and where should I search to get more information about the RTOS implementation.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:18 pm

The simple answer is that's how the development tools for the ESP32 work -- they (Espressif) provide you with a whole SDK (the "ESP IDF") based on FreeRTOS, so it's definitely a much easier base to work from.

I guess in theory there's no reason someone couldn't adapt the code from the IDF and write a bunch of low level drivers, however some parts of the IDF do not have source code available (e.g. the wifi driver). (I do not know how much these binaries depend on being run in FreeRTOS thoug).