os Vs uos rabbit hole

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
KJM

os Vs uos rabbit hole

Post by KJM » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:59 am

I try to stay on the straight & narrow but sometimes I fall into rabbit holes. I've been running a .py program for ages, when I was finally happy with it I changed it to a .mpy whereupon it crashed at

Code: Select all

import binascii; boundary=binascii.hexlify(os.urandom(16)).decode('ascii')
with

line 233 NameError: name uos isnt defined
presumably because I import os instead of uos at the top of the program. The rabbit hole is I don't understand why os was near enough to uos for the .py version?

stijn

Re: os Vs uos rabbit hole

Post by stijn » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:11 pm

So your code does

import os
os.urandom
yet it fails saying uos isn't defined? Can you reproduce that with the minimal sample above? Sounds like a bug.

KJM

Post by KJM » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:17 am

So first I run

import os
print('esp32', uos.urandom(16))
from the IDE as a .py & get

esp32 b'\x05t46#\x06%\xb6<\xb6\x81U\xceQ\x18\xa1'
then I convert the orginal .py above to code.mpy & upload it onto the esp32, then I type

import code
into the IDE & get

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "code.py", line 3, in <module>
NameError: name 'uos' isn't defined
which is understandable since I haven't imported uos but why is uos OK for the .py version?

stijn

Post by stijn » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:34 am

Hard to tell. I mean, I'd say 'this is an implementation detail and the key is in the source code' but I'm actually not sure. I also cannot reproduce it on the unix port for example. The 2 cases you describe differ in more than just .py vs .mpy. First one is 'run from IDE', not sure what that means but it might be doing something behind the scenes where it actually imports uos.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:16 am

KJM wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:17 am
So first I run

import os
print('esp32', uos.urandom(16))
This shows the issue -- you're importing os, but using uos. Something else is importing uos (which is true, see below).
stijn wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:34 am
but it might be doing something behind the scenes where it actually imports uos.
stijn is right -- this is a particular quirk of ESP32 where the filesustem initialisation and loading is implemented in Python, and that code imports uos. (See https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... s/_boot.py )

In general, the advice is to never directly import or use the "u" modules. So import "os" and use os.urandom.

(I know this hasn't always been particularly clear advice, but we've been trying to improve this lately. For example the docs don't mention "ufoo" anywhere anymore, other than this one note here: https://docs.micropython.org/en/latest/ ... rom-python )

KJM

Post by KJM » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:34 am

It would be nice not to have different code for .py & .mpy files. Is there any harm in 'import uos' in .py files so they can run as .mpy files too?

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:37 am

KJM wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:34 am
It would be nice not to have different code for .py & .mpy files. Is there any harm in 'import uos' in .py files so they can run as .mpy files too?
You can use either. My point is that you just need to use "uos.urandom" if you "import uos", or "os.urandom" if you "import os".