An unkown system error

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
l4fourier

An unkown system error

Post by l4fourier » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:39 pm

Hello,

** (brickrun:610): CRITICAL **: file /build/brickrun-1.2.2/obj-arm-linux-gnueabi/src/brickrun.c: line 1771: unexpected error: Invalid byte sequence in conversion input (g_convert_error, 1)
is that i got when i ran a micropython program for EV3 on VS Code and i don´t know how to fix that.

Does anybody may know about this? I am very thankful for any help :)

jimmo

Re: An unkown system error

Post by jimmo » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:53 am

l4fourier wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:39 pm
Does anybody may know about this? I am very thankful for any help
Could you please provide more infomration? What is "brickrun"? What do you mean by "ran a micropython program for EV3 on VS Code".

I know the EV3 is Lego mindstorms but unsure what it means to run in VS Code? Is there a linux port of micropython running somewhere?

l4fourier

Post by l4fourier » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:18 am

Micropython has written a python distribution that enables the user to program the EV3 with python combined with a MicroPython module called pybricks by using VisualStudioCode as IDE. The EV3 Brick needs a SD card with a simplyfied linux os. "/build/brickrun-1.2.2/obj-arm-linux-gnueabi/src/brickrun.c" is a system file which is used by running such programs on the EV3 so i was not able to even debug my program.

Luckily the problems have solved theirselves, unfornately problems appear and desappear randomly sometimes. If you wonder about why anyone uses this module: The competiting software is a kind of scratch with no option to debug and worse perfomance.
Thank you for offering you help :)

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:01 pm

l4fourier wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:18 am
Micropython has written a python distribution that enables the user to program the EV3 with python combined with a MicroPython module called pybricks by using VisualStudioCode as IDE.
Although it uses MicroPython, this was not developed by the MicroPython project or team, so unfortunately we don't know anything about it. But hopefully other people in this forum do!

I can't tell if brickrun is even a MicroPython thing or more generic to ev3dev. Perhaps try raising an issue with ev3dev -- https://github.com/ev3dev/ev3dev/issues/new/choose

Do Lego or pybricks have any sort of support channel or forum? I tried to research more about it and can't seem to find much at all other than the documentation. (And someone else with the same problem on Reddit -- https://www.reddit.com/r/ev3/comments/m ... h_ev3dev2/ )