ESP32 Modules That Reset When Network Activated?

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
Jibun no kage

ESP32 Modules That Reset When Network Activated?

Post by Jibun no kage » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:25 pm

I have seen various issues noted with ESP32 modules when attempting to connect to WiFi using MicroPython. At least one reference states that this is because of poor quality ESP32 modules, or bad 3.3v regulators? I pulled out my ESP32 modules, I have 2, that I have had for a while, used them with Arduino IDE, never had an issue with them. But sure enough, using MicroPython, can't activate the network without reset.

So two questions?

1) Can I do anything to use my older ESP32 modules with MicroPython? I tried to change the txpower level, but it appears that you have to activate the interface to change the txpower level, so that idea does not work?

2) What ESP32 modules are know to work well with MicroPython?

Roberthh

Re: ESP32 Modules That Reset When Network Activated?

Post by Roberthh » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:22 pm

I have like a dozen ESP32 modules here with all kinds of configuration, and all of them but one work well with micropython. No problems with WiFi. The one that does not work well is an old Sparkfun ESP32 thing, which works only with a re-configured firmware, but it is not a micropython issue. I purchased that one when the first ESP32 modules got available.
If the modules reset when the network starts could indeed by a power problem. If it is not at the board, it could be with the cable or computer. If you have that available, you could try running the board though a powered USB hub.
The modules sold by espressif themselves should work well.

Jibun no kage

Post by Jibun no kage » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:25 am

Ah, ok, will try different power source(s). Thanks for the detail, and explanation. Like I said, the modules I have work fine using Arduino IDE, using the same USB port/computer. So I was really scratching my head over this one.

Jibun no kage

Post by Jibun no kage » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:31 pm

Just to close this issue out, for anyone that encounter this, I changed to a known good USB power supply that was rated at 5v 2a, and ESP32 module WiFi activation via <interace>.active(True) did not cause said ESP32 module to reset/reboot. Turns out my PC USB 3.0 ports do not seem to provide sufficient current for the ESP32 module, when the WiFi interface is activated. It is interesting however, that the same ESP32 Module under Arduino IDE, using the original PC USB 3.0 ports, did not suffer a reset. So there is something somewhere demanding a higher current load under MicroPython control vs. Arduino IDE control. Maybe the ESP32 MicroPython driver is actually attempting to set the WiFi power level higher, an educated guess.