Download of file with ctrl-E

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
Frida

Download of file with ctrl-E

Post by Frida » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:28 pm

Is there any limit on the number of characters that can be downloaded with ctrl-E. When I hit 961 characters, there are not downloaded more on PYBv1.1
Yes Frida is my watchdog!

dhylands

Re: Download of file with ctrl-E

Post by dhylands » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:51 pm

The only limit is available RAM. Past Mode works by collecting the entire string (up until you hit Control-D) into memory, and then feeding it all to the compiler when you press Control-D.

I was able to paste a 4K chunk of python code without any issues, alhough it may depend on the program that's sending the data to the pyboard.

It looks like it depends on the sending program. I tried using usb-ser-mon-py and 4K worked fine. I tried rshell and it didn't (I wrote both of those programs). The difference is that usb-ser-mon does a 2 millisecond sleep after sending each character, where rshell blasts the characters as fast as it can.

So if your terminal program has the ability to do a small delay after each character then you'll probably find that it works better.

Frida

Re: Download of file with ctrl-E

Post by Frida » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:22 pm

I am using GtkTerm with 9600-8-N-1 and End of line delay(milliseconds): of 30
I have before downloaded files of up to 17k to forth without problems.
But now I know it, I can live with it.
Yes Frida is my watchdog!