Audio output?

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
mattvm

Audio output?

Post by mattvm » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:30 pm

I am looking for anyone who has done polyphonic sound output with this device? I know it can be done with the ARM chip no problem, as there are some boards out there that do so already. They just dont give me the flexibility I need between the streaming of data between the SD card and microcontroller. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you!

blmorris

Re: Audio output?

Post by blmorris » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:41 pm

Are you looking to do digital audio i/o using the I2S (Inter-IC Sound) protocol? My company has a board which uses the STM32F405 (same as the pyboard) to stream sound from an SD card to an audio codec (actually a dedicated audio DSP) via an I2S bus. I know that I2S is not yet supported in Micro Python, but I'm hoping to work on that fairly soon. We already can run Micro Python on our board to do some basic things (I have been playing with it on and off for a few months.) Once I2S is supported within Micro Python, it should be relatively little effort to port our existing projects over, while also gaining several functions that our current software cannot yet do.
I can provide more information if you are interested in our project or in working on I2S.
-Bryan

mattvm

Post by mattvm » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:47 pm

That sounds great! Using Python isnt a requirement for our project, but we would like an easy to program higher level language to use if possible. I would love more information about your board and such!

Thank you!

blmorris

Post by blmorris » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Cool. At this point, any discussion that we have about using the STM32F405 for audio is probably going to get pretty far off the topic of the pyboard or Micro Python development, but if we get to the point of having anything helpful or interesting to say about getting I2S supported in Micro Python we can reopen a topic in the development part of the forum.
Feel free to shoot me a message if you have a specific question about our system or I'll write a bit about what we are doing soon.
-Bryan