Using both RFID & Bluetooth??

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
HLA91

Using both RFID & Bluetooth??

Post by HLA91 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi All,

Would it be possible to hook up an RFID reader and a bluetooth module, so that you could scan a card and then that cards details could be transmitted over bluetooth to the paired device? Just had an idea rolling around in my head and I just wanted to know from the start if it was at all possible or if I should just forget about the idea?

Thanks

HLA91

blmorris

Re: Using both RFID & Bluetooth??

Post by blmorris » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:25 am

Without knowing anything about your RFID reader module, I can't think of any reason why this couldn't be made to work. RFID and Bluetooth operate on very different frequency bands, so they shouldn't interfere with each other, and Bluetooth is designed to be very tolerant of noisy environments anyway. Assuming that the RFID and Bluetooth modules each require a UART and a few GPIO to communicate, the pyboard should be able to handle the task easily- 5 UART's and plenty of GPIO lines are available.
-Bryan

HLA91

Post by HLA91 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:10 pm

To be honest I don't have a clue what Bluetooth or RFID modules I would be using, this is an adventure into the unknown for me I have never done anything like this before. The idea just came about from a chat to my colleague about how a device with the 2 features would be very handy for us. My python experience is basic, I use it to scour log files in work but thats it. Is there any literature that would help me learn the skills needed to undertake this project? Also what RFID /Bluetooth modules would people recommend?

Many thanks

HLA91

CRImier

Post by CRImier » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:01 pm

For BT, I'd recommend any Bluetooth-to-UART module able to communicate in Slave mode. Most famous are, of course, HC-05/HC-06/HC-whatever, more can be found here - an excellent resource on those modules. They're sold on eBay for about 5$ each, and some of them are sold on a convenient breakout board. When a device (PC/Android phone/something else) connects this module to itself, a serial port is created - which makes a wireless UART link from PC to the device that themodule is connected to. Only downside I see - BT serial doesn't work with all the devices, these, as I've heard, include iPhones (but not Macs) and some other proprietary tech.
For RFID, I haven't experimented with it yet and therefore I think somebody more wise will tell you =) Yet I think that if you google something like "UART RFID module" or "Arduino RFID module", you can easily find something interesting - since PYB has all the capabilities of Arduino and much more than that.