Connecting to Enterprise Wi-Fi Network

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
jfet

Connecting to Enterprise Wi-Fi Network

Post by jfet » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm working on a datalogger project using the ESP8266 and MicroPython build 1.8.5. The project involves uploading measurements to a ThingSpeak channel, through the ESP8266's wifi. The program works fine on my home wifi/internet, but when I go to test it on the school network (enterprise PEAP wifi), I need to log into the network using my username and password; I cannot connect to the network using the same method for my home wifi.

After a bit of research on the web, it seems that MicroPython currently does not support connections to enterprise networks, but the Espressif ESP8266 C SDK does support such connections.

Is there a workaround that would allow me to connect my ESP8266 to my school's enterprise wifi using MicroPython, without having to use the Espressif ESP8266 C SDK?

I'd like to avoid using the Espressif SDK if possible, but if that is the only way to connect to the enterprise wifi, then I'll go with that. I've considered sharing a wired connection to the school's network from a separate computer to create a local wifi connection bridge, but I have not tried that out yet and am uncertain whether it would work.

Thanks

kfricke

Re: Connecting to Enterprise Wi-Fi Network

Post by kfricke » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:01 pm

Sorry, no there is no workaround for connecting to a WLAN using PEAP authentication. One must implement this in respect of the current network API.

And i have some organisational remarks...

You must be aware of the fact that the school has the need to identify every single user of their network. When they did provide you with the credentials to log into their wireless network you might have been told to obey some restrictions when connecting and not to share such credentials. Probably you even had to sign some paper with rules to obey.
You must answer yourself the following questions:
  • Are you allowed to share your credentials with your embedded device?
  • Are you willing to share your credentials with everyone who has physical access to your embedded device?
Reading the flash from the device does easily provide your credentials in plaintext!

I'd guess the answer is "No" to both questions. And they most likely are also restricting the number of simultaneous logins with those credentials.

In real-world network infrastructures the organization in charge of the operation of the network would deploy credentials or certificates for each user and device that needs access to such an enterprise network. That enables them to lock out single devices or users and restrict them in case of misuse.

SpotlightKid

Re: Connecting to Enterprise Wi-Fi Network

Post by SpotlightKid » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:18 am

Probably the easiest thing would be to get a cheap SIM card with a prepaid data plan and use your smartphone to share the access to the UMTS network via your own wifi network.