Firmware for all controller of the same type but different pin count

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
meier13

Firmware for all controller of the same type but different pin count

Post by meier13 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Hello,
I recently found micropython and the pyboard and that is what I am looking for over a long time. Very nice.

But for our purpose we need a more industrial Version of the pyboard. We need a cable network connection on board and a layout that makes it possible to screw it on the back/frontplane for an easy access to the connectors without additional wiring. In addition the 64 pin stm32F405 has no ADC/DAC Vref input. So the 100 pin Stm32F405 is my choice an the layout is in progress.

My question: Can I use the firmware from the pyboard for the 100 pin Stm32F405 without changes / recompile? My assumption is that the core is the same but not all internal pins are connected to the smaller chip package.

Thanks in advance

Ulrich

dhylands

Re: Firmware for all controller of the same type but different pin count

Post by dhylands » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:29 pm

MicroPython has the notion of a board, and if you look in the stmhal/boards directory you'll see several board definition files.

There are definitely some board configurations that have to match, like the frequency of the external crystal used. You can also configure which peripherals are enabled, and which pins are used by default (since many of the peripherals are available on multiple pin sets).

There is also a pins.csv file that allows you to assign board names to each of the pins.

The STM32F4DISC board, for example, uses the 100-pin part. I've also written several board definition files for other STM32 based boards which you can find here:
https://github.com/dhylands/wiki/wiki/M ... oard-files

You can compare the files in the board directories to see what's different between various boards.

meier13

Re: Firmware for all controller of the same type but different pin count

Post by meier13 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:02 pm

Thank you Dave,
that helps a lot.
Ulrich