DSP CMSIS

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
pepe_gmail

DSP CMSIS

Post by pepe_gmail » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:28 am

Dear all,

I am a newbie to micropython and I have curious question and I guess it make sense to you micropythoners :)

Do you have any intention to have CMSIS-DSP, DSP Library Collection available within micropython? I am specially interested in Matrix & Filter functionality.

Thank you.
Peter

Damien
Site Admin

Re: DSP CMSIS

Post by Damien » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:16 am

pepe_gmail wrote: Do you have any intention to have CMSIS-DSP, DSP Library Collection available within micropython? I am specially interested in Matrix & Filter functionality.
It would be great to support this functionality of the MCU. But the tough question is how to expose the DSP to the user in a "Pythonic" way. Maybe the best way is to implement the numpy module (which I've wanted to do for sometime now) and use the DSP features to speed up the numpy operations. The other way I can think of is to just allow these operations in the inline assembler, then you have full power to do what you like, and also interface it with normal Python functions.

Can you give a more specific idea of how you would use DSP? When you say "matrix" functionality, do you mean matrix multiplication and inversion? If so, that would fit well into numpy.

bmarkus

Post by bmarkus » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:36 pm

Numpy would be too heavy and generic for the board. A dedicated M4 optimized DSP lib would be preferred to use power of M4. It would make pyboard ideal for audio signal processing in modems, SDR, etc.
Tiny Core Linux (piCore) developer
HAM radio call: HA5DI (Béla)

pepe_gmail

Post by pepe_gmail » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:25 pm

I do miscellaneous stuff with power (metering, motor control, wireless communication, etc...). So I wonder if possible to use CMSIS DSP in general micropython so this CMSIS lib will be available somehow in "Pythonic" way and as well looking for to build a "micropyhton" lib for such applications.
I do not know it's feasible and make sense within micropython - but it seems to me very promising project and if extended I guess it might outperform to mbed.org and can be used as a base for IoT (Internet of Things). What do you think?

pfalcon

Post by pfalcon » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:12 pm

What do you think?
We think "patches welcome!" ;-)
Awesome MicroPython list
Pycopy - A better MicroPython https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython
MicroPython standard library for all ports and forks - https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython-lib
More up to date docs - http://pycopy.readthedocs.io/

pepe_gmail

Post by pepe_gmail » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:13 am

I would to dive into micropython, is there doc on implementation. Should I go straight to source code.
Thanks.

Damien
Site Admin

Post by Damien » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:13 am

Easiest way to get started coding is to get the unix and stmhal ports compiling on your machine, then take a look at one of the builtin modules/classes and copy that. Eg stmhal/uart.c.