How to achieve this feature available in IDLE

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
liudr

How to achieve this feature available in IDLE

Post by liudr » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:31 am

If you load a script into IDLE and run it, then you can go to the shell window to continue to enter code. Say you defined a variable a=10 in the script you run inside IDLE, then in shell window you can use this variable like b=a**2. Then b=100.

The reason I am looking to achieve this feature is to predefine a bunch of useful functions and then once I am at MicroPython's prompt, I can easily run these functions. I thought I could write all the code in a script say mycode.oy and use "from mycode import *".

I am curious, whether this is the right way to go about it.
Also, how do I automatically run the "from mycode import *" at the starting point of the interactive shell?

Thanks.

deshipu

Re: How to achieve this feature available in IDLE

Post by deshipu » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:06 am

It just works. Anything you put in main.py gets executed, and when the program finishes or is interrupted, you get access to all the local variables in the REPL.

liudr

Re: How to achieve this feature available in IDLE

Post by liudr » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:33 pm

Great! Thanks. I was using ampy to upload files. I must have thought that uploading files makes the board reset (Arduino like). It's not. I have to ctrl + D to soft reset. It's all working now! Beautiful!