Library radio

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
rhubarbdog

Library radio

Post by rhubarbdog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:39 am

Microbit micropython has a radio module.

Code: Select all

import radio
Do any of these other micro controlers which feature micro python also support it.

I'd like to make a remote control robot using my laptop or a raspbery pi as the joystick

Does python 3 suport this radio comunication, the only projects i find for python 3 and radio are about listening to (internet?) radio from a terminal window.

deshipu

Re: Library radio

Post by deshipu » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:32 am

The micro:bit's on-board microcontroller, NRF51, is actually a bluetooth chip — that's why it has radio functionality. That module on the micro:bit is custom, written specially for it, and no other MicroPython port supports it. You can achieve a very similar functionality using the cheap NRF24L01+ modules, though. There is a driver for them in MicroPython's repository, under "drivers". The API is different than the simplified radio library, though. You can connect those modules to any board that supports SPI communication, including Raspberry Pi, and there are even USB dongles for PC with this or similar chip.