Difference between ESP8266 vs WiPy

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
SureshVakati

Difference between ESP8266 vs WiPy

Post by SureshVakati » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi,
What are the main differences between ESP8266 WiFi board and WiPy boards in terms of micropython? Are there any additional features in Wipy? I couldn't find any comparison documents online. If anyone familiar, please let me know.

Thank you.

SpotlightKid

Re: Difference between ESP8266 vs WiPy

Post by SpotlightKid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:55 pm

I'm not aware of such a comparison document. Obviously, the specs of the MCUs each board is based on differ. The main difference in the ports is that the WiPy port was initially done by a third party and the esp8266 port was mainly done by the original inventor of MicroPython, Damien George, and Paul Sokolovsky.

The exact differences in the MicroPython implementation and the standard modules, you have to figure out by comparing the documentation and, in some instances, experimentation or looking into the source code, I'm afraid.

Here are some starting points:

* http://docs.micropython.org/en/latest/w ... neral.html vs.
* http://docs.micropython.org/en/latest/e ... neral.html
* viewtopic.php?f=11&t=713
* viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1908

Roberthh

Re: Difference between ESP8266 vs WiPy

Post by Roberthh » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:21 pm

And the question is: which WiPy?
WiPy 1: Based on a CC3200. The port is in the repository here, made by Daniel Campora. WiPy 1 is more or less abandoned and not on sale any more. The micropython core is maintained, but any hardware specifics are in the state they are now.
WiPy 2: Based on esp32, Revision 0: this is a product of Pycom, a company founded by Daniel Campora. This variant is maintained by Pycom. WiPy 2 is more or less a plain esp32 board. The firmware of pycom runs on any other Revision 0 esp32 board, like the Sparkfun esp32 thing, Wemos LOLIN32
WiPy 3: based on esp32, Revision 1, with additional RAM and Flash. Also a pycom product. The firmware for this version will not run on other boards, unless the parameters for additional memory match.