Post removal and user blacklisting : deliberate?

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
cefn

Post removal and user blacklisting : deliberate?

Post by cefn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:22 pm

A few days ago I noticed a post from DMWidgets which I finally got back to in my Chrome tabs.

Unfortunately the post had been 'removed' by the time I replied to it. I attempted to direct-message DMWidgets but when they attempted to reply, they found direct messaging was blocked so they had to find me via github to discuss their issue. We were able to discuss the out of memory issue they seemed to be experiencing via email.

I couldn't see anything problematic in the post, and wasn't sure if the post removal and user blacklisting was a mistake somehow. Here is a fragment of our thread...
DMWidgets: Couldn't reply to your PM via the forum as that functionality is disabled on my account for...whatever reasons. To answer your questions though, no, I didn't solve it. I also didn't delete my post. Didn't notice it was even removed until I couldn't find it on the front page anymore...
If this is a moderation error or conservative behaviour from a 'report offensive' button which has been clicked by mistake, can we bring the user and post back into the fold?

dhylands

Re: Post removal and user blacklisting : deliberate?

Post by dhylands » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:04 am

I see one post by that user on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4405&p=25511

And I see a post that was pending approval (on the same thread) which I just approved.

So I'm not seeing any removed posts for that user (maybe you were referring to the unapproved post?) The first few posts by any user need to be approved before they show up in the forum. Once a few posts have been apoproved, this needing approval is removed automatically and further posts proceed with no delay. Using this helps us keep spam out.

Dave Hylands - Moderator (about to go on vacation for 3 weeks - so I won't be as active here)

DMWidgets

Post by DMWidgets » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:46 am

from my recollection, the order was

- initial post > approved
- edit to initial post > approved
- post disappears shortly after edit
- post reappears sometime between last night and this morning
- posted reply in thread > approved

*shrug*

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:49 am

It may be that editing the post (which then requires approval) made the post disappear, and then reappear when it was approved. Just a guess on my part.

Neosphere

Post by Neosphere » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:19 am

Hello guys,

I just want to know the reason's to disapprove the post. Can anyone tells me???

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:41 pm

I disapprove duplicate posts. This typically happens with new users, whose first few posts require moderator approval. The new user typically makes a post doesn't see it show up and then makes a second identical post. I approve one and disapprove the other.

Blatantly of topic posts are disapproved and the users are banned (I.e. somebody posting spam - like ads for sportswear, etc)