A MicroPython logo?

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
liudr

A MicroPython logo?

Post by liudr » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:54 pm

I noticed that I couldn't find a decent MicroPython logo when I was trying to customize my folder's icon in windows. The only one I could find is this:

Can you really see it? Only under the grey background of the forum page. This is what it looks like on my windows system if I used it as an icon:

So I made some improvements:

Here is an enlarged view. As you can see, I interlaced blue and yellow from what I think as the Python logo:

So will there be an official MicroPython logo?

OutoftheBOTS_

Re: A MicroPython logo?

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:59 pm

I thoigh the orange snake sitting on the chip was the logo see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroPython

liudr

Post by liudr » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:28 pm

I didn't know. OK, thanks. Downloaded and converted to ico.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:54 am

The orange snake was replaced with the grey icon as the official logo quite some while ago. I must confess to having some affection for the original - it seemed to embody a welcome sense of fun ;)
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

OutoftheBOTS_

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:26 am

I have googled for images of Micro Python and only get the orange snake sitting on the chip. Does anyone have a link to the official grey 1 as I have never seen it.

liudr

Post by liudr » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:29 am

OutoftheBOTS_ wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:26 am
I have googled for images of Micro Python and only get the orange snake sitting on the chip. Does anyone have a link to the official grey 1 as I have never seen it.
micropython.org top-left corner, to the left of "MicroPython". The website also has a favicon, which looks kind of nice but too small, 16x16.

kevinkk525

Post by kevinkk525 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:33 am

I don't like that logo. You do not really recognize it as an M and apart from that it has nothing in it that says "python". I like the original one more but it's of course more like a picture than a logo.

Why not use something obvious like this: a microcontroller with a python logo in it. or are there any legal issues with that?
micropython.png
(both pictures from wikipedia)
Kevin Köck
Micropython Smarthome Firmware (with Home-Assistant integration): https://github.com/kevinkk525/pysmartnode

cefn

Post by cefn » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:58 am

I would prefer it had two eyes, suggesting a snake rather than a Cyclops worm. The python logo has snakes in profile, hence one eye. The Micropython logo looks like a snake in a maze, seem from above, therefore should have two eyes.

Having a high definition picture of a microchip does not survive scaling.

philwilkinson40

Post by philwilkinson40 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:26 am

I am running a free introductory course in Micropython in a few weeks time. I would really like to use the "M" MicroPython logo as the only branding on the slides but it seems nowhere to be found.

Would George Robotics prefer me to use the current snake-on-a-chip logo in the GitHub repo? I seem to recall Damian making a comment at a public conference that the M logo was the new logo for MicroPython but I cannot find anything 'official'

What is the general consensus?