How to define ctrl-C handler in MicroPython?

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
liudr

How to define ctrl-C handler in MicroPython?

Post by liudr » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:29 am

For cpython, this is what I have that handles ctrl-C:

Code: Select all

def SIGINT_handler(signal, frame):
        ser.close()
        data_file.close()
        print('Quitting program!')
        sys.exit(0)
    signal.signal(signal.SIGINT, SIGINT_handler)
MicroPython complains about the last line. Is there any way to do similar things in MicroPython besides enclosing the entire script with a try? Thanks.

OutoftheBOTS_

Re: How to define ctrl-C handler in MicroPython?

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:41 am

Not sure if there is a way without using try

I pretty much use at least try and finally in every single Micro-Python script because on exit (whether it is an error for just script finishing) resources that were allocated during the script need to be released, like SPI , I2C objects or any other objects. If your script creates a SPI object and doesn't release it then you rerun your script it will create another instance of the SPi object not reuse the one all ready allocated. When you run a Cpython script from the command line i.e python Logger.py when it exits it should auto de-allocate all resources as it exits from python back to the command line. In Micro-Python when the script exits then it returns to the repl not the command line so nothing is de-allocated.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:04 am

@liudr You didn't mention what platform you're running on. MicroPython is primarily targeted at microcontrollers. The concept of a signal is about communication between processes: irrelevant if you're running a single threaded program on bare metal. On bare metal exception handling is the way to intercept ctrl-c.

On the Unix build there is a use case for signal processing. The implementation in micropython-lib looks as if it should handle SIGINT. If you're running the Unix build what error message are you seeing?
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

liudr

Post by liudr » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:14 am

pythoncoder wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:04 am
@liudr You didn't mention what platform you're running on. MicroPython is primarily targeted at microcontrollers. The concept of a signal is about communication between processes: irrelevant if you're running a single threaded program on bare metal. On bare metal exception handling is the way to intercept ctrl-c.

On the Unix build there is a use case for signal processing. The implementation in micropython-lib looks as if it should handle SIGINT. If you're running the Unix build what error message are you seeing?
Sorry, ESP32 port. I want to have a graceful way to end a script that is running on repl. It's not essential that I had a way to do so. It's on my good-to-have list. Thanks.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 am

This shoud work on any MicroPython platform

def foo():
    while True:
        pass

try:
    foo()
except KeyboardInterrupt:
    print('Got ctrl-c')
finally:
    # Optional cleanup code
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:33 am

I often put something like the following in my program as well:

repl_uart = pyb.UART(6, 115200)
and then in my main loop:

if repl_uart.any():
        byte = repl_uart.readchar()
        if byte == 3:  # Control-C
            log('Control-C')
            raise KeyboardInterrupt