Differences between urandom-module, uos.urandom and os.urandom?

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
ZKDMun

Differences between urandom-module, uos.urandom and os.urandom?

Post by ZKDMun » Tue May 01, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi there,

what exactly is the difference between these three functions (urandom-module, uos.random, os.random) to create random numbers?

I am using an ESP8266 and I have implemented some functions to create some random keys of a specific length:

Code: Select all

key_size_bits = 4096

#urandom-module:
def urandomnumb(ksb = key_size_bits):
    import urandom
    by_array = bytearray()
    i = 0
    end_while = int(ksb/8)
    while i < end_while: #maybe the best solution to save RAM-Size, compare with i in range()?
        by_array.append(urandom.getrandbits(8))
        i += 1

return int.from_bytes(by_array,'big')

#uos.urandom:
def uosurandnumb(ksb = key_size_bits):
    from uos import urandom
    randnumb = urandom(int(ksb/8))
    return int.from_bytes(randnumb,'big')

#os.urandom:
def osurandnumber(ksb = key_size_bits):
    from os import urandom
    randnumb = urandom(int(ksb/8))
    return int.from_bytes(randnumb,'big')
There are some differences in the time the functions will needed (used utime.ticks_us() to get the starting and ending times and so one):
- urandomnumb (urandom-module): between 58k - 61k microseconds
- uosurandnumb (uos.urandom): between 600 - 800 microseconds* *'*
- osurandnumber (os.urandom): between 4.7k - 5k microseconds* *''*

For the urandomnumb()-function, this is because of the while-loop and the process to create the number -- urandom.getrandbits() is limited to 32 bits, so I implemented a special way to generate a longer key, which will be similar to the uos.urandom and os.random-method?

But why did os.urandom need more time to calculate than uos.random? Are both the same - is it better to use uos.random, because it seems to be faster?

And what exactly is the difference between these three functions (urandom-module, uos.random, os.random) to create random numbers?

BTW:
*Every seventh call as a duration of *'*~3000 microseconds (uosurandnumb) and *''*7000 microseconds (osurandnumber) - these are very unusual peaks? Any explanation for this?

pythoncoder

Re: Differences between urandom-module, uos.urandom and os.urandom?

Post by pythoncoder » Thu May 03, 2018 4:37 am

The occasional delays of multiple ms are probably caused by garbage collection. Your code dynamically alters the size of the bytearray which is demanding on the MicroPython memory management. I would allocate a global bytearray at the start of the code, large enough for the longest key, and update the array elements in-place. I suggest you read this in the docs for general guidance on how to write efficient code on devices with limited RAM.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

Roberthh

Re: Differences between urandom-module, uos.urandom and os.urandom?

Post by Roberthh » Thu May 03, 2018 5:36 am

On the ESP8266, os is just an alias for uos (see https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... ort.h#L175). So os.urandom() and uos.urandom() point to the same underlying function (starting here: https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... duos.c#L68). Like @pythoncoder said, the difference is caused by something else,