connecting to hidden WLAN

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
RobH

connecting to hidden WLAN

Post by RobH » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:35 pm

<t>I have a setup with one esp8266 as WLAN Access Point ('server') and another esp8266 as WLAN station ('client'). <br/>
The connection by the client is setup successfully with SSID and password and the client application can send datagrams to the server which are echoed by the server and the client receives the echoes successfully. All fine, I'm happy (so far!).<br/>
Among others I have configured the AP explicitly with: network.config(hidden = False). But when I change this to network.config(hidden = True) and keep everything else the same the client reports that it cannot connect to the server (changing it back to False makes it working again!).<br/>
I noticed that network.scan() does not show any hidden network (1.9.3 and 1.9.4), while I have several in my neighbourhood.
Questions: What would be the use of being able to create a hidden Access Point without being able to connect to it? Am I trying to accomplish something impossible? Am I doing something wrong (if so what)?

lepi

Re: connecting to hidden WLAN

Post by lepi » Wed May 22, 2019 11:01 pm

Hi everybody!

RobH, have you managed to pull this off?
Or does anyone know the answer?

I'm trying to do the same feat : )
Cheers!

RobH

Post by RobH » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:27 pm

@ Iepi
I'm sorry, no solution yet (and I myself didn't experiment further...)
Regards

PsuFan

Post by PsuFan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:50 pm

Did you try .connect()ing after you changed the AP to hidden?

I'm trying to figure out why scan() returns no hidden networks...