Does PyCharm Micropython Plugin still work?

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
hlovatt

Re: Does PyCharm Micropython Plugin still work?

Post by hlovatt » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:55 am

It works for me on PyCharm 2018.2 but not 2019. On 2018.2 it does say pub is missing but if you tell PyCharm to ignore that error it does work. However no completion of course for pub stuff (which is a pain).

apollodriver

Post by apollodriver » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:46 am

hi there - hi at all,

i want to run pyCharm with ESP 32 and ESP 8266 boards. Unfortunatly i do not have any pyboard here.

Any idea how to achieve that.

I would be glad if we get this up and running.

regards
WPGear.org is a compendium of useful developer tools for working with WordPress.

hlovatt

Post by hlovatt » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:33 am

I have given up on this. It only part works, might as well use finder and a terminal window to download and run. Pity.

kevinkk525

Post by kevinkk525 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:06 am

I use it for my esp8266 and esp32 but only for programming. Not for getting the files onto the board itself..
Kevin Köck
Micropython Smarthome Firmware (with Home-Assistant integration): https://github.com/kevinkk525/pysmartnode

JennaSys

Post by JennaSys » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:55 pm

I've been using it for the ESP8266 quite successfully for coding and loading files to the board. The REPL is a bit unreliable on Windows and doesn't handle backspace and arrow keys very well. Because of that I usually switch to a Putty console for using the REPL which is kind of annoying to have to do.

It does seem development on the plug-in has stalled recently with no updates for several months. It could really use some updates to the Micropython specific type hints to make coding more productive.

While I won't stop using PyCharm for Python programming in general, I just tried Thonny recently and have to say it seems to work really well with the ESP8266. Between having a file manager for the device, being able to run code from the IDE on the device without copying a file over, and having a stable REPL, this may be my new go-to for Micropython development on the ESP8266.
John Sheehan

apollodriver

Post by apollodriver » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:29 am

hello dear John hello dear Kevin,

many thanks for the replies and the ideas and experience you share - valuable assets of insights, knowledge and very interesting to me.

i use PyCharm for Python programming in general - like you John.
- i never have tried Thonny - but i am willing to do so - and you encouraged me.
JennaSys wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:55 pm
I've been using it for the ESP8266 quite successfully for coding and loading files to the board. The REPL is a bit unreliable on Windows and doesn't handle backspace and arrow keys very well. Because of that I usually switch to a Putty console for using the REPL which is kind of annoying to have to do.

It does seem development on the plug-in has stalled recently with no updates for several months. It could really use some updates to the Micropython specific type hints to make coding more productive.

While I won't stop using PyCharm for Python programming in general, I just tried Thonny recently and have to say it seems to work really well with the ESP8266. Between having a file manager for the device, being able to run code from the IDE on the device without copying a file over, and having a stable REPL, this may be my new go-to for Micropython development on the ESP8266.

on a sidenote: and somewhat offtopic to this great thread:
besides the usage of PyCharm i test VSCode as well - on both systems here - on Win and on Linux ...

installed on Win but not on Linux so far i wonder if there are any differences in the features - is the linux-version of VSCode the same as the windows-version. Do we have the same featues and the same"version"!? That is interesting to me. I will test this the next week.

i have found interesting articles on using MicroPython in VSCode: https://lemariva.com/blog/2018/12/micro ... ode-as-ide

and articles of Integration of VSCode and PlatformIO - with the help of the ArduinoIDE (and its great set of libraries)
https://hoeser-medien.de/2018/11/esp32- ... latformio/
https://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/ide/vscode.html

- well: do you suggest to start with Platform - when being interested in mainly two boards;: the ESP 8266 and the ESP32?

Would you suggest to start with PlatformIO?

have a great day
WPGear.org is a compendium of useful developer tools for working with WordPress.

JennaSys

Post by JennaSys » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:32 am

I've used VS Code with PlatformIO for programming the ESP32, but only for C (which is the only reason I used VS Code - much better than say Arduino IDE). For the heavier weight IDE I still prefer PyCharm.

Thonny has been really good for making small changes on the ESP8266. It's not as feature rich as PyCharm, but you can iterate through small changes to Python code very quickly with that IDE.

I recently installed the Thonny plug-in for the PyBoard and it worked well on that platform as well.
John Sheehan

apollodriver

Post by apollodriver » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:26 pm

_pycharm_ide_1.jpg
_pycharm_ide_1.jpg (29.61 KiB) Viewed 4599 times
hi there

many many thanks for all the hints and the very fruitful discussion here.

i just have installed PyCharm on

a. my win-box /(win7 ) in the office
b. the Mx-Linux-System at home: which runs on MX-Linux.

the version: pycharm community-Edition 19.2

i then installed the MicroPython extension

i am going to test the sytem (s)