Micropython Syntax Analysis

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
chester20080

Micropython Syntax Analysis

Post by chester20080 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:13 pm

Hello to everyone,

Background:

I have a Micropython port running on a custom STM32F4 microcontroller board. The python script to be executed is loaded into the filesystem, and pyexec_file parses, compiles and executes the script. There is no REPL console.

Question:
In case of any python syntax error, I would like somehow to retrieve the error line and the description of the error (E.g Line 13: Unexpected foo var). How can we extract this information from the c code of the micropython? Is there any variable in the c code of the micropython that holds this kind of information?

stijn

Re: Micropython Syntax Analysis

Post by stijn » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:13 pm

See definition of pyexec_file which calls parse_compile_execute: the exception is stored in nlr.ret_val and passed to mp_obj_print_exception. If that's not suitable for you there's not much else you can do but implement parse_compile_execute yourself (or adapt it to pass the exception object to your own function or so).

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:12 pm

This python code will record the information into a file. So you may also want to look at the implementation of the sys.print_exception function in C.

Code: Select all

# Exception Test

import sys

def foo():
    raise ValueError('An error happened')

def bar():
    try:
        foo()
    except ValueError as ex:
        with open('exception.txt', 'wb') as f:
            sys.print_exception(ex, f)

print('About to call bar')
bar()
and I get the following in exception.txt:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "exc_test.py", line 10, in bar
  File "exc_test.py", line 6, in foo
ValueError: An error happened

stijn

Post by stijn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:04 am

The problem is the OP is asking about syntax errors, which happen in the parser already so cannot be caught like that. Unless the entire file execution is wrapped which I think can be done by enabling MICROPY_PY_BUILTINS_EXECFILE to get the execfile function. E.g. principle would be

in C:

pyexec_file('my_main_wrapper.py')
in my_main_wrapper.py:

try:
  execfile('my_main.py')
except SyntaxError as e:  # could use this to ditinguish between actual syntax errors and everything else
  write_exception_to_file(e)
except Exception as e:
or alternatives like:

try:
  import my_main
  my_main.foo()
except Exception as e:
and then the actual code goes in my_main.py. This still won't leave a trace of exceptions which might occur my_main_wrapper.py though..