0MQ for MicroPython

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
criptomorxa

0MQ for MicroPython

Post by criptomorxa » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:44 pm

Dear all,

I'm wondering if there are plans to support 0MQ in MicroPython. If not, can somebody provide a hint of how to do so?

Best regards,

CM

jickster

Re: 0MQ for MicroPython

Post by jickster » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:50 am

criptomorxa wrote:Dear all,

I'm wondering if there are plans to support 0MQ in MicroPython. If not, can somebody provide a hint of how to do so?

Best regards,

CM

ZeroMQ has to do with the underlying operating system and micropython is OS agnostic and in fact can run on bare metal.

So the only question that makes sense wrt to micropython is “how do I create a wrapper for zeromq so that I can use it in micropython”.

And the answer to that is no different than “how can I create a uPy wrapper for XYZ C/C++ code”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

abpreen14

Post by abpreen14 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:08 pm

Here is a link..
https://gitlab.com/librecube/prototypes ... /README.md
They had tried to port zeromq but walked away... with not much explanation... staying it is deprecated...
AFIK zmq is a wrapper around sockets especially the tcp, which frees you of the hassles of bind, select, loop etc.
if mqtt is supported then it zmq could be supported.

stijn

Post by stijn » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:49 pm

We have (parts of) ZeroMQ implemented as a custom C++ module for the windows port. Would work for the unix port as well, probably any port for which the main ZeroMQ library works. It's a matter of wrapping the functions one needs so they can be used in MicroPython. Not too much work, there is a 'code dump' for all 100 or so ZMQ_XXX constants though. En result is we can write code which works both for CPython (with PyZMQ) and MicroPython so pretty covenient.