Target audience for MicroPython?

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
Picasso

Re: Target audience for MicroPython?

Post by Picasso » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:37 pm

Sorry, but here I really have difficulty understanding what you are saying ... You are saying a lot of things in these two sentences:
kevinkk525 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:28 pm
There is indeed the problem of github organisation. It mainly derived from pfalcon having to leave the project and therefore there's a split in micropython and micropython-lib. I hope Damien will have a solution for the micropythonlib/upip problem soon.
I hope you want to explain these things:
having to leave the project
Who made him leave the project, why was that and how has that be done?
therefore there's a split in micropython and micropython-lib
How is it, that leaving the project can lead to such a disaster for the project he 'supposedly' left. What has been the justification for getting in this situation?
the micropythonlib/upip problem soon
What is the micropythonlib/upip problem? I really never heard of that before. And why/how does this have anything to do with the micropython-lib situation?

kevinkk525

Re: Target audience for MicroPython?

Post by kevinkk525 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:44 am

Picasso wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:37 pm
Sorry, but here I really have difficulty understanding what you are saying ... You are saying a lot of things in these two sentences:
kevinkk525 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:28 pm
There is indeed the problem of github organisation. It mainly derived from pfalcon having to leave the project and therefore there's a split in micropython and micropython-lib. I hope Damien will have a solution for the micropythonlib/upip problem soon.
I hope you want to explain these things:
having to leave the project
Who made him leave the project, why was that and how has that be done?
therefore there's a split in micropython and micropython-lib
How is it, that leaving the project can lead to such a disaster for the project he 'supposedly' left. What has been the justification for getting in this situation?
the micropythonlib/upip problem soon
What is the micropythonlib/upip problem? I really never heard of that before. And why/how does this have anything to do with the micropython-lib situation?

I guess I can explain all of this in one answer.
pfalcon and damien worked closely together from the beginning (that's why he is often mentioned in copyright statements) but at some point they had their differences and damien revoked pfalcon's rights to change code on the micropython github. That's when pfalcon created his own fork. [If anyone else knows it better, please correct me]. I don't like talking about this but it's a fact and that fact has consequences.
Mainly the upip problem. The micropython-lib libraries can be downloaded from pypi using upip on the micropython devices. Many people used this method to deploy some libraries. However most of the micropython libraries on pypi are from pfalcon and a few months back he decided to not care if his libraries are compatible to the mainline micropython version and uploaded a uasyncio version that only worked on his fork. But as using upip was the standard way of deploying this, his decision brought chaos. Uasyncio is typically shipped within the firmware now but it's just a matter of time until pfalcon decides to upload another library that breaks compatibility to mainline. Therefore we can't reliably use upip to deploy micropython libraries anymore without checking first, if they are still compatible.