ebay clone micropython board

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
safetyfactorman

ebay clone micropython board

Post by safetyfactorman » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:41 pm

I recently bought a "clone" micropython board on ebay, thinking that it was a real one. The board claims to be pyboard v1.1, and for all appearances, appears to be identical.

I attempted to run a ledflash.py from the uasyncio git repository. My understanding of the default micropython v1.1 image that uasyncio is flashed to the board is that it contains asynchio support. attempting to import uasyncio fails. I found myself loading different modules from micropython-lib, trying to eliminate the missing pieces.

1. How do I confirm that a given hardware firmware is correct and conforms to a given micropython version?

2. Is there any way to upgrade selectively, or is it better to reflash the board, and hope that the reflash works?

3. As of today, which micropython version is most stable?

thanks!

kevinkk525

Re: ebay clone micropython board

Post by kevinkk525 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:44 pm

I'd just reflash with the micropython 1.10 firmware.
Kevin Köck
Micropython Smarthome Firmware (with Home-Assistant integration): https://github.com/kevinkk525/pysmartnode

safetyfactorman

Post by safetyfactorman » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:26 pm

i will try it. thanks!

safetyfactorman

Post by safetyfactorman » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:53 pm

ok. I successfully reflashed the fake pyboard as follows:

sudo dfu-util --alt 0 -D pybv11-dp-thread-20190125-v1.10.dfu
dfu-util 0.8

>>>import os
>>>os.uname()
>>>(sysname='pyboard', nodename='pyboard', release='1.10.0', version='v1.10 on 2019-01-25', machine='PYBv1.1 with STM32F405RG')
>>>
>>> import uasyncio as asyncio
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: no module named 'uasyncio'

why is this error occurring? If the pyboard has been flashed to the firmware version that supports threading, and is flashed to the version greater than the one that supports uasyncio in the firmware, why am I getting this errror? I had created directories for the non-asyncio version, but I deleted these, and did a reset.

kevinkk525

Post by kevinkk525 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:03 pm

Your firmware doesn't contain uasyncio then and you have to upload it yourself. See this for how to install uasyncio:
https://github.com/peterhinch/micropyth ... bare-metal
Kevin Köck
Micropython Smarthome Firmware (with Home-Assistant integration): https://github.com/kevinkk525/pysmartnode

safetyfactorman

Post by safetyfactorman » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:22 am

I'm dislexic, so I screwed up on the interpretation of the copy. everything works now.

thanks!