Trouble reading ADXL375 accelerometer using over SPI

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
Sgt_Pepper

Trouble reading ADXL375 accelerometer using over SPI

Post by Sgt_Pepper » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:47 pm

Hello everyone! This is my first forum post so I apologize if I have formatted things improperly.

I am trying to write a driver for the ADXL375 accelerometer (https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/4376342) using SPI. I am using Micropython version 1.9.3. I started by writing a simple memory reading function as shown below:

==================================================================

Code: Select all

import micropython
import pyb
from machine import SPI

# Create pin bojects
MOSI = pyb.Pin(pyb.Pin.cpu.A7, mode=pyb.Pin.ALT, af = pyb.Pin.AF5_SPI1, pull=pyb.Pin.PULL_UP)
MISO = pyb.Pin(pyb.Pin.cpu.A6, mode=pyb.Pin.ALT, af = pyb.Pin.AF5_SPI1, pull=pyb.Pin.PULL_UP)
SCK = pyb.Pin(pyb.Pin.cpu.A5,  mode=pyb.Pin.ALT, af = pyb.Pin.AF5_SPI1)
CS = pyb.Pin(pyb.Pin.cpu.C5, pyb.Pin.OUT)
CS.high()

spi_1 = SPI(1, baudrate=1000000, polarity=1, phase=1, bits=8, firstbit=SPI.MSB)

READ_MASK       = micropython.const(0b10000000)
buf = bytearray(2)

def mem_read(mem_addr):
    '''This function returns the data stored in the memory address
        @param mem_addr.
    '''

# Sets proper bit in order to read data
    buf[0] = (mem_addr | READ_MASK)

CS.low()
    spi_1.write_readinto(buf, buf)
    CS.high()
==================================================================

I have then called the mem_read() function from a REPL and tried reading address 0x00 (the address where the device ID is stored). However, after reading this address, the second byte of 'buf' simply contains the value 255. According to the data sheet, the device ID should be 0b11100101 (229 in decimal). When I placed an oscilloscope probe on the MISO line it shows 0b11100101 perfectly.

To keep testing things I tried changing the polarity and phase. When the polarity and phase are both set to 0, 'buf' contains 0b11110010 (242 decimal) after trying to read address 0x00. This matches what is seen on the oscilloscope. This makes sense, for the incorrect polarity and phase offset the clock line and make it read an extra 1. When viewed from the oscilloscope the entirety of the proper data is still there (0b11100101).

So in summary, I am not sure why the proper value is not stored when using the proper polarity and phase, and why when it is changed I am actually able to store a value (albeit the wrong one) in 'buf'. I have tried a couple different boards running micropython (a custom board and a Nucleo L476RG) and I get the same results. The fact that the oscilloscope shows the correct data on the MISO line makes me thing that I have the accelerometer wired up properly. Therefore my thinking is that it must be something with the code.

Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated!

pythoncoder

Re: Trouble reading ADXL375 accelerometer using over SPI

Post by pythoncoder » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:20 am

I'm not sure what's causing your problem but it's worth noting that the following lines of code are redundant:

Code: Select all

MOSI = pyb.Pin(pyb.Pin.cpu.A7, mode=pyb.Pin.ALT, af = pyb.Pin.AF5_SPI1, pull=pyb.Pin.PULL_UP)
MISO = pyb.Pin(pyb.Pin.cpu.A6, mode=pyb.Pin.ALT, af = pyb.Pin.AF5_SPI1, pull=pyb.Pin.PULL_UP)
SCK = pyb.Pin(pyb.Pin.cpu.A5,  mode=pyb.Pin.ALT, af = pyb.Pin.AF5_SPI1)
When you instantiate a hardware SPI object, the MOSI, MISO and SCK pins are configured automatically.

This also applies to other hardware objects such as UARTs and I2C instances.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

Sgt_Pepper

Post by Sgt_Pepper » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:00 am

@pythoncoder Thank you for the reply. That makes sense that they are redundant.... I just wanted to be extra sure that they were set correctly. Strangely enough just yesterday I tried using SPI 2 (instead of SPI 1) and it worked perfectly. It must be a problem more fundamental to the microcontroller hardware? At any rate I'll just keep using SPI 2 and hope for the best.

aleskeyfedorovich

Post by aleskeyfedorovich » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:55 pm

Did you find any solution? I'm also experiencing problems with uPy SPI and ADXL345 in case I'll ask my own question