Does anybody know what is going on with micropython?

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
kevinkk525

Re: Does anybody know what is going on with micropython?

Post by kevinkk525 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:34 am

I think it is time to throw in my observations as a spectator that doesn't even understand half the technical discussions:

Your social skills are quite low. It doesn't matter if you are a native english speaker or not. The way you speak to others and about others and their work is unfriendly and arrogant.
I can see why people contacted jimmo and complained (I wasn't one of them).

You seem to be a brilliant programmer but you should think about how you interact with people. In the end it doesn't matter what you think about your own manners, only how your actions are perceived by others.

So I hope you think about it and change the way you interact with people so working together will stay possible in the future.
Kevin Köck
Micropython Smarthome Firmware (with Home-Assistant integration): https://github.com/kevinkk525/pysmartnode

pmp-p

Post by pmp-p » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:23 am

> Your social skills are quite low.

Thank you for evaluating me on such short notice, but it's fair coming from you so i'll guess i'll spend more time coding my own than roaming on forum then.

> The way you speak to others and about others and their work is unfriendly and arrogant.

That's the problem nobody addressed me directly about that ...
i'm old school IRC i don't do forum. on IRC OP (forum moderator?) pm guy to tell him how to behave and that's all.

> You seem to be a brilliant programmer.

no i'm not it's just a hobby. my former job was to evaluate IT disasters before they happen, that included review and designing viable long term low cost solutions.

i insist no money is involved in my attempt to forward javascript port.

> change the way you interact. / so working together will stay possible in the future.

i may not have enough time for that - unsure i can do it i may be too old for that / i never worked with jimmo or anyone on the mainline i've started my work (iirc ~2016 spinoff from mattewwelse ) and my wasm port was already working with features long before javascript port was merged.

i have no particular personnal interest to do that apart from upstreaming my contributions for all people that wanted wasm support.

i just answered ONE question in the forum "Does anybody know what is going on with micropython?"

As a result i really felt denigrated by jimmo's doing regarding *my* work and accurate testing allowing me to produce such a list without being a total incompetent.
But pardon me, i think interaction is meant to work both ways so what about jimmo attitude ?

Frankly chances are great the OP is a BOT using a quote to layout its account as i pointed out.

So if i'm now on trial then it's the greatest bot move ever toward skynet and the turn it's taking tells a lot. so i'm calling to a moderator to arbitrate and if i'm faulty please close *all* my gh issues in the same move, no need for erasing traces i'm not a GDPR fan.

> It doesn't matter if you are a native english speaker or not.

I don't fully agree and that's an important part of mentoring from my point of view. i only have basic technical english background in my luggage so it's hard to say anything smarter/nicer/neutral in a short (free) time

As a matter of fact i had already that remark from french people so if you have time enough to explain me in private what words i should (not) have used, or what sentences seem unfriendly and arrogant ( or "more arrogant" than other french people here if native really does not matter ) i'm all ears and will be gratefull. So maybe i can later do a tradeoff beetween speed/efficiency/getting in trouble.

kevinkk525

Post by kevinkk525 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:26 pm

We always see a small part of a person and that is how someone interacts with others in short public text messages. So we never get a full picture of a person.
You are right, someone could have contacted you personally. I guess typically nobody does that because it often leads to just more problems and most people don't appreciate having their own behaviour criticized/corrected.
And as you yourself realized, with pfalcon we (this forum/micropyhon) has/had already a lot of trouble with a brilliant programmer that can be quite unfriendly in personal interactions and complicated. So maybe the willingness to personally resolve similar behaviour might be low at the moment.
> It doesn't matter if you are a native english speaker or not.

I don't fully agree and that's an important part of mentoring from my point of view. i only have basic technical english background in my luggage so it's hard to say anything smarter/nicer/neutral in a short (free) time
If you want people to understand you correctly, you will have to put more effort into your messages. Otherwise problems like these will be more common, which is sad and unneccessary. Most of us interact in their "short (free) time" and trying to resolve problems takes a lot more time than a neutral discussion about something.
So if you try to say things nicer/neutral you will save everyone including yourself a lot of time.
Also you said a lot which doesn't seem to be english-skill related which makes it hard to believe that it is just a problem with the english language. Therefore I guess that many people wouldn't want to contact you directly, given the impression of your character that these posts show.
As a matter of fact i had already that remark from french people so if you have time enough to explain me in private what words i should (not) have used, or what sentences seem unfriendly and arrogant ( or "more arrogant" than other french people here if native really does not matter ) i'm all ears and will be gratefull. So maybe i can later do a tradeoff beetween speed/efficiency/getting in trouble.
I can write you some quotes in a PM as you seem genuinly interested.
Kevin Köck
Micropython Smarthome Firmware (with Home-Assistant integration): https://github.com/kevinkk525/pysmartnode

pmp-p

Post by pmp-p » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:15 pm

> So maybe the willingness to personally resolve similar behaviour might be low at the moment.
That is indeed a good element of response for primary topic.

> with pfalcon we (this forum/micropyhon) has/had already a lot of trouble
The few i've read though is consistent with IRC tech discussions and does not offend me whatsoever.
But as i said i don' t do forum so i would not try to judge anyone for "sectarism" (TR: "esprit de clan" ? / "attitude tribale" ?) so early since i can't embrace that "globally , in the context and over time".

I won't take any side so that won't change my tech opinions and the fact i felt that jimmo tried to demolish my assertions - conscientiously and publicly for my first forum exposure - with invalid arguments.

> I can write you some quotes in a PM as you seem genuinly interested.

Volatile media are forgiving , social media are not but they are future as wasm is. So yes i am.

pythoncoder

This should stop.

Post by pythoncoder » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:34 pm

My view - as a co-mod - is that this thread is noise and should stop. I take a dim view of remarks hostile to the co-mod @jimmo. He is one of the most knowledgeable, helpful and polite people in this forum.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.