the Visual Studio Code - i want to get it to work with the ESP8266 

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
apollodriver

the Visual Studio Code - i want to get it to work with the ESP8266 

Post by apollodriver » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:19 pm

Dear Community,

the Visual Studio Code - i want to get it to work with the ESP8266

which extensions do i need to add?

The whole design of Visual Studio Code is so that it should be easily be configured for any development language using these extensions. Do i need to install the Arduino IDE? if i am able to go roound the Arduino IDE - i would be happy.
Like most of the IDE's I have tried, they rely on the Arduino IDE for all the libraries. - but if i am able to work with VS-Stidio-Code and ESP 8266 directly i would be happy.

how to set it up and to make sure that i have fully configured Visual Studio Code to work with all the necessary add-on for ESP8266

which extensions i should add and install?

note: i am on Windows 7
WPGear.org is a compendium of useful developer tools for working with WordPress.

BradenM

Re: the Visual Studio Code - i want to get it to work with the ESP8266 

Post by BradenM » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:10 am

Hi apollodriver,

I would suggest taking a look at this article: #MicroPython: VSCode IntelliSense, Autocompletion & Linting capabilities

Full disclosure, I am the author behind one of the extensions (micropy-cli), but I do believe the environment detailed in the article above is currently the closest we can get to support in VSCode.