About MicroPython‘s trademark

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
andychen

About MicroPython‘s trademark

Post by andychen » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:32 am

Hi,George

i’m from china,working on open source software project——RT-Thread(an open source IoT operating system,allows MicroPython run in any development boards with RT-Thread).

Recently, there was a very bad thing about trademarks.

A company successfully applied for the MicroPython‘trademark.Then they don't allow others to use "MicroPython" in taobao(i don't sell anythings in taobao). This is frustrating.

Any comments for you.

tannewt

Re: About MicroPython‘s trademark

Post by tannewt » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:36 pm

My understanding is that the MicroPython trademark is governed under the Python trademark that is owned by the Python Software Foundation. (This is true for CircuitPython as well.) I'll mention this to other's here at Adafruit and would encourage you to reach out to the PSF as well.

ptorrone

Post by ptorrone » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:52 am

[quote=andychen post_id=39541 time=1568878374 user_id=5800]
A company successfully applied for the MicroPython ‘trademark. Then they don't allow others to use "MicroPython" in taobao (i don't sell anythings in taobao). This is frustrating.[/quote]

hiya, if you could post any additional information i may be able to help figure out what is possible with this trademark and/or working with the python foundation (and others). if you cannot post it here, please email pt at adafruit dot com and i'll help run this down.

name of company which has the trademark in china
url to their store
etc.
etc.

for reference, here is the python trademark information:
https://www.python.org/psf/trademarks/

andychen

Post by andychen » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:37 am