Any MicroPython fans? Pros? Cons?

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
JenrasGomes

Any MicroPython fans? Pros? Cons?

Post by JenrasGomes » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:41 pm

I've got quite a few Adafruit and ESP8266 devices that could support MicroPython. It occurs to me that I'm WAY more comfortable with Python than I am C/C++. However, doing a search on doesn't show a lot of results.

Is there a subreddit devoted to MicroPython? Or is it just not that popular? I realize that Arduino is an ecosystem unto itself and that there are other ways to program microcontrollers, but it seems like a lot of just general purpose questions related to microcontrollers end up here, as well.
Last edited by JenrasGomes on Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimmo

Re: Any MicroPython fans? Pros? Cons?

Post by jimmo » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:24 am

Hi,

This forum is pretty active, usually a couple to several posts per day, and there are lots of people here who can answer any questions you have.

The MicroPython project itself is still very active -- see the git history here https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... its/master -- and while the "core" language itself is fairly stable now, all sorts of new features are being worked on.

I saw this quote the other day that I thought was pretty nice -- https://blog.adafruit.com/2019/09/02/ha ... ccamp2019/

(I'm clearly in the "fan" category, the pros are pretty self-evident I think -- Python is much easier to write, it's much easier to discover errors at runtime, and the REPL is amazingly useful. The cons are kind of what you'd expect -- not every possible feature of the hardware is supported (yet, although ESP8266 is pretty complete), and Python obviously comes with some performance costs that for the most part don't matter too much as the important bits are part of the core firmware written in C anyway)