question on which firmware to download

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
dps

question on which firmware to download

Post by dps » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:08 am

hello all, i was looking at the firmware downloads for the esp32 that are on this page: https://micropython.org/download#esp32 .
i notice that for the esp32, there are a few different ones for both 'Firmware built with ESP-IDF v3.x, with support for LAN and PPP but no Bluetooth', and for ' Firmware built with ESP-IDF v4.x, with support for Bluetooth but no LAN or PPP'.
Now, i understand the distinction between the mentioned categories, but i do not understand this: on the former category, there are 3 different ones named "Generic". now, the bottom three i can understand are different builds from different dates, but what about the difference between the bottom three and the top one. i see that there are the obvious date differences (and i also just noticed that there is a NEW top one already. the one i HAD was 1118, and the new one on top is 1121.), but there are also a few extra characters added to the top one.
what are the differences between these besides the dates, and is the top one with the extra characters a "daily build"of sorts?

dps
Last edited by dps on Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

jimmo

Re: question on which firmware to download

Post by jimmo » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:10 am

Hi,

Yes, you've pretty much described it correctly.

The ones with the extra digits are the nightly builds. So all options (IDF 3/4, generic/spiram/tinypico) have nightly builds.

However, the IDF4 build (and the TinyPico build), were added after the most recent release (i.e. 1.11), so there are _only_ nightly builds for that.

Similarly, SPIRAM support was added at v1.10, which is why there's only a v1.9 build available for GENERIC.

dps

Re: question on which firmware to download

Post by dps » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:30 am

AH! thank you my man! you seem to be consistently helping me out here, and i really appreciate that. :)