STM Bootloader Driver for Windows 7 64-bit?

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
bizniz

STM Bootloader Driver for Windows 7 64-bit?

Post by bizniz » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:53 am

Hi guys. I want to update the firmware on the board using DFU but are having some issues.

1. I am following the instructions provided here:
http://micropython.org/resources/Micro- ... -setup.pdf

2. Under item 4(d) of the document where it indicates to install the STM32 Bootloader driver, I can't find a compatible drive anywhere on the web. :? The windows compatibility centre search does not list any of the drivers for the STM devices :?:

I have downloaded DfuSe_Demo_V3.0.4_Setup program to do the flash but it will not work without the STM32 Bootloader driver. Should I use a XP 32-bit driver or can someone point me to where I can download the correct driver preferably signed?

Thanks

rmq

Re: STM Bootloader Driver for Windows 7 64-bit?

Post by rmq » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:27 am

Are you able to see the DFU devices in the listview "Available DFU Devices" when the board is in the DFU mode. Which board you are using with the software ?

bizniz

Post by bizniz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:59 pm

Hi RMQ. I am using the PYBv1.0 board. When I run DfuSe_Demo_V3.0.4 there are no devices shown in the DFU devices in the listview "Available DFU Devices" because the the SMT32 Bootloader driver does not exist and this is the issue. I can't find a Windows 7 64-bit version of the SMT32 Bootloader driver.

Is there a Windows 32-bit SMT32 Bootloader driver I can use on a Windows 7 64-bit computer to get DfuSe_Demo to work?

Thanks

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:27 pm

Are you sure that the pyboard is in DFU mode?
How did you put it into DFU mode?

There are 2 ways to get the pyboard into DFU mode. The first is to get connected to the pyboard via REPL and enter the command:

Code: Select all

pyb.bootloader()
The second is to connect the BOOT0 pin to the 3.3v pin and then press the RST button. If you look at http://micropython.org/resources/pybv10-pinout.jpg then the BOOT0 pin is in the bottom left corner just to the right of the 3V3 and just above the X17 pin.

When the pyboard is in DFU mode, you should see that the Blue, Yellow and Red LEDs are very dimly lit. If you're not seeing the 3 LEDs dimly lit, then the pyboard is not in DFU mode.

bizniz

Post by bizniz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:17 am

Hi Dave. Thanks for asking if I put the board in DFU mode. I didn't know there are 2 ways to get into DFU.

I used the the "hardwired" method where I to connected the BOOT0 pin to the 3.3v pin and then pressed the RST button. I can confirm that the Blue, Yellow and Red LEDs were very dimly lit.

I'll will also try the REPL method and see what happens.

Thanks ;)

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:53 pm

As long as the pyboard is actually in DFU mode, then it doesn't really matter how it got there.

I mostly just wanted to establish that the pyboard was in fact in DFU mode.

I haven't used windows for programming the pyboard yet (I'm a linux geek).

@anthlis

Post by @anthlis » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:14 am

Hi Bizniz,
How did you get on with this issue - did you get the STM32 Bootloader driver installed properly?
I'm having exactly the same issue, and have reached the same point (i.e. PYBv1.0 in DFU mode) and do not know how to proceed.
cheers
Ant

@anthlis

Post by @anthlis » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:57 am

I solved my instance of this issue. I had been trying to do this on my work laptop which has Windows Updates disabled. Without Windows Updates you cannot search for and download drivers automatically as the instructions suggest :arrow: :oops: . Doing this on my home PC worked straight away no problem.

JJW

Post by JJW » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:43 pm

Like Bizniz and Ant, I followed step-by-step instructions per "The care and feeding of Pythons at the Redmond Zoo" but pybv10 cannot find STM32 bootloader online. I manually searched but cannot find bootloader at Microsoft, STMicroelectronics nor micropython.org. My Python fell into DFU hole.

My Windows7 64bit Home Premium required 124 Microsoft updates since 2014. So, I updated laptop as Ant commented. Microsoft updates require shut-downs. After multiple restarts, no more communication at USB COM5. I manually added hardware Pyboard USB Comm Port with Wizard. COM6 installed; however, pyboard cannot start (Code 10). Auto-searched and successfully updated drivers for other hardware.

Red, yellow, blue LEDs are light on pyb10. Pyboard cannot crawl out of missing bootloader? Only pyboard & my first using microcontroller, help...

JJW

Post by JJW » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:52 pm

After hours of trials, my Python climbed out of bootloader DFU hole.

I uninstalled COM6 port. Revert to original USB port COM5 for MicroPython driver 5.1.2600.3, manually set COM5 speed to 115200 bps to match. pybv10 then finally able to auto search online and find the bootloader ST Tub30sys driver v.3.0.4.0 written 5Jul2012 by STM.

Unplug, replug USB cable and push reset button. Many repeats, tried variations until DFU driver loaded automatically. Able to serial communicate using either HyperTerminal or Putty.

Be sure Windows7 OS has recent updates before DFU! 124 Microsoft updates took 5 hours, then fix sound, clean/remove GB of files, defragmention, 78% of 4GB RAM memory was needed to update Windows7.

Painful updating Windows7 and learning pyb10 at the time...