get programs on a board?

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
momsi

get programs on a board?

Post by momsi » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:50 pm

Hi,

firstly: sorry, I'm very new to this, I just got a EPS32 and put Micropython on it. I successfully got to a REPL using Putty so at least I got that going :lol:

one question remains though .... how are you supposed to get files on the board? .... I only found linux oriented stuff (I use win10 btw.) and on windows the only thin i found was "it should appear as removable drive".... which it doesn't.

Generally, even knowing Python medium well and having done several projects with arduinos, I find the initial entry hurdle quite high.

There is so much half baked guides and different solutions out there. The Guides on the official Site are very well written, but unfortunately don't cover more than getting Micropython on a board. This is probably due to the young age of the project.

Anyway, I maybe have missed something, so don't take my nagging to serious. It's just my experience as a beginner after a day of fiddling around with Micropython.

Hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Kip

Re: get programs on a board?

Post by Kip » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:20 pm

Try this: https://learn.adafruit.com/micropython- ... stall-ampy

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:32 pm

Ampy is fine. You may also use pyboard.py https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... pyboard.py
or rshell. These are both python scripts, which should work on any OS. You might have to install pyserial via pip:

pip install pyserial

or

python -m install pip pyserial

Rshell is pretty powerfull. Once WiFi is active on your device, you may use one of these to upload a ftp server: https://github.com/robert-hh/FTP-Server ... 2-and-PYBD
That's the one I tailored for my use, allowing to use convenient tools like FileZilla.

Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:23 pm

Not to forget WebREPL, which is actually mentioned in the official docs – although maybe the fact that it also has the ability to transfer files is too easily overlooked there.

pyboard.py is also documented, but maybe there should be a link to it on the “quick reference” pages.
momsi wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:50 pm
on windows the only thin i found was "it should appear as removable drive".... which it doesn't.
The place where you found that must have been talking about something other than an ESP32. This only works on microcontrollers that have USB, which the ESP32 does not. (The USB socket on your board is connected to a USB-to-serial converter, not directly to the ESP32.)