OS X, board not appearing as Mass Storage Device

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
chris

Re: OS X, board not appearing as Mass Storage Device

Post by chris » Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 pm

I also can't get my Mac Mini running OS X Mavericks to recognise the board at all and tried all suggestions above. However it is recognised immediately and works well with a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian, so the board is fine. If anyone figures out how to get the Mac to work with the board that would be very helpful.

SkG

Post by SkG » Thu May 08, 2014 12:32 pm

Damien opened an issue at github for data collection (https://github.com/micropython/micropython/issues/586) and as soon as I get my pyboard (it's on the way) I'll try to check this issue due I have 3 different Mac Laptops.

ezpoz: Unknown Mac running Unknown Version (x.x.x): Mass Storage not detected, DFU unknown.
chris: Mac Mini (Model/Year?) running OS X Maveriks (10.9.x): Mass Storage not detected, DFU unknown. Confirmed that works on other machine with Linux.
blmorris: Unknown Mac running OS X Lion (10.7.x): No pyboard yet, can't test it.
SkG: MacBook Pro 2006 OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.x): No pyboard yet, can't test it.
SkG: MacBook Pro 2008 OS X Maveriks (10.9.x): No pyboard yet, can't test it.
SkG: MacBook Pro 2013 OS X Maveriks (10.9.x): No pyboard yet, can't test it.

Things to try in OS X terminal:

dmesg

lsusb equivalent:
Linux users have the lsusb command to list all their usb devices.
The Mac OSX command line equivalent is:
system_profiler SPUSBDataType

For a visual alternative in Lion, the steps are:
click the apple in the top left corner
choose About This Mac
click on the More Info… button to access the System Information application
click on the System Report… button
under Hardware group, there’s the USB option that we were searching for

blmorris

Post by blmorris » Thu May 08, 2014 4:29 pm

Good idea to start collecting OS X issues, there will be enough people trying to use it.
True that I don't have a pyboard yet, though I have been testing; quite by coincidence last year I developed hardware using the STM32F405 in a conveniently similar configuration to the pyboard (SD Card, RTC, USB, I2C, even two of the LED's are connected the same way), this has allowed me to play with Micro Python since shortly after Damien opened the code; mostly just doing bug reports since I'm really not a software developer.
To the point, the system I am testing with is a 2007 MacBook Pro, running 10.7.5. I haven't upgraded to Mavericks (10.9.x) because my one must-run program (CadSoft Eagle) claimed that support for Mavericks was not in place last I checked.
I haven't had any difficulty to this point with either DFU or USB serial port emulation. I installed dfu-util version 0.7 using Mac Ports (http://www.macports.org). Even without dfu-util installed, a device in DFU mode should still show up in the System Report Hardware Overview. As for serial port emulation, I don't recall ever installing any drivers, although it is possible that I may have done so years ago to support some other device.
Mass Storage has worked reasonably well for a while, although I have seen some issues getting the system to cleanly unmount the volume. Haven't yet been able to figure out enough of a reproducible pattern to report, though.
Hope this helps. I have been reporting my findings on github for a little while, I hope that my success hasn't given an overly optimistic impression for general OS X compatibility. :?

Finally, there is another utility to provide some information about USB, learned about it looking for an equivalent to lsusb. The utility is USB Prober (/Developer/Applications/Utilities/USB Prober) which is installed with XCode. I haven't used it yet, can't say anything about it.
-Bryan
Last edited by blmorris on Fri May 09, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris

Post by chris » Thu May 08, 2014 8:02 pm

Problem solved. It seems I had a problem with a micro USB cable. The original cable worked with a Pi but not a Mac. I changed the cable and now the Micro Python board now connects perfectly with both Pi and Mac running OS X Mavericks. It appears as a drive with "NO NAME". Also tried with a Transcend 8GB class 6 micro USB card in the board and that is also recognised by the Mac.

epoz

Post by epoz » Sat May 10, 2014 3:14 pm

... OS X version 10.9.2, but BTW it was also not showing up under Linux with a lsusb

But whoohooo, shorting the DFU pin lets it show up as a USB device on my Mac under System Information. So will now try and figure out how to do a re-flash the firmware.

epoz

Post by epoz » Sat May 10, 2014 3:27 pm

Problem solved: Cause is faulty USB cables for me too.

After trying the DFU mode fix, I noticed that I had used a different USB cable. Went back and checked the other cables I had tried - with those it does not work.
So out of 3 micro-USB cables I have, only one works. (never noticed this before as I only use those cables to charge phones or power the Raspberry Pi)

Damien
Site Admin

Post by Damien » Sun May 11, 2014 9:55 pm

This has now been resolved. Problem was a broken USB cable.

SkG

Post by SkG » Tue May 13, 2014 4:50 pm

I can confirm it working on my 3 machines with an Amazon Basics USB 2.0 cable.